Blog

  • Indonesian General Gets Life Sentence For Embezzling S$17 Million Through Arms Procurement

    Indonesian General Gets Life Sentence For Embezzling S$17 Million Through Arms Procurement

    In a landmark ruling, the Jakarta Military Court has sentenced a one-star Indonesian Military (TNI) general to life for embezzling US$12 million (S$17.18 million) through defence weaponry procurement between 2010 and 2014.

    The verdict, which was read out in an open hearing on Wednesday (Nov 30), sent a positive signal that the TNI and the Defence Ministry were serious in cracking down on corruption, which allegedly plagues the nation’s weapon procurement deals.

    The general identified as Brigadier-General Teddy Hernayadi was found guilty of transferring the US$12 million of state money to his bank accounts when he served as the Defence Ministry’s finance division head from 2010 to 2014.

    The ministry’s inspector-general Hadi Tjahjanto said the ministry appreciated the ruling because not only did it sentence Teddy to life in prison for his offences, but also demanded he return the US$12 million to the state coffers.

    “We are waiting for the defendant to comply with ruling and return the embezzled money to the state,” Mr Hadi told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.

    He further said a team from the ministry who had observed the months-long trial discovered that Teddy was not the only perpetrator, adding that the ministry would resume investigations into the case to pursue more suspects both from the ministry and private sector who allegedly received shares of the embezzled money.

    The inspector-general hoped that the verdict would serve as a warning for other ministry officials on the severity of embezzlement.

    “We will follow up the ruling to find out who the other recipients of the embezzled money are. Around 53 witnesses confirmed that they had accepted money (from Teddy). If the 53 witnesses include civilians, we will let the National Police investigate them,” Mr Hadi said.

    Mr Hadi said the case started when the ministry’s inspectorate-general discovered US$12 million had been funnelled from the ministry to Teddy’s bank accounts in 2014.

    “The ruling was expected but nonetheless was appreciated (by the ministry). The ministry will continue to carry out internal reforms,” Mr Hadi said.

    Meanwhile, Teddy reportedly said he would use the seven days given by the court to decide whether to appeal against the sentence to the Jakarta High Military Court.

    Separately, military expert Al Araf said the verdict confirmed long-standing public suspicions that the country’s procurement of defense systems was marred with corruption, thus, it was important for the ministry to probe past procurement deals.

    “In the past, we have heard about alleged corruption concerning the procurement of Sukhoi (fighter jets), Leopard tanks and missiles from Brazil. The verdict should open the door for President Joko ‘Jokowi’ Widodo’s administration to investigate the procurement of defence weaponry in the past,” Al Araf said.

    He said the ministry should ask the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) for assistance in the investigation of past cases.

    By 2024, the country expects to have reached its minimum essential force requirement. Some 150 trillion rupiah (S$15.8 billion) was spent to pay for the modernisation of the nation’s weapons-defence system between 2010 and 2014.

    KPK chairman Agus Rahardjo said the anti-graft body was ready to assist the ministry, adding that the KPK was closely monitoring the process of Teddy’s trial at the military court.

    “We are monitoring the hearing,” Mr Agus said.

     

    Source: The Straits TImes

  • LTA Steps Up Checks On Illegal Taxi Services

    LTA Steps Up Checks On Illegal Taxi Services

    The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will conduct more frequent checks to nab unlicensed private cars as well as private-hire cars plying illegally for fares, it said in a press release yesterday.

    Enforcement operations will be stepped up at areas with high traffic and locations where the LTA has received a lot of feedback.

    Nineteen drivers have been issued warnings by the body.

    One driver was fined $15,000, banned from driving for a year and his vehicle was forfeited.

    He was convicted in January for using his car to ferry passengers and driving without valid insurance.

    Police reports had been lodged against him for charging fares of between $30 and $1,050.

    Some areas where the LTA will be stepping up enforcement by plainclothes and uniformed officers are Clarke Quay, East Coast Seafood Centre, HarbourFront Centre, Marina Bay Cruise Centre Singapore, Resorts World Sentosa and the Singapore Zoo/Night Safari.

    Private cars cannot be remunerated for carrying passengers, and private-hire cars cannot tout, pick up customers in the street or use taxi stands.

    Offenders face a maximum penalty of a $3,000 fine and six months’ jail, and their vehicles may be seized.

     

    Source: The New Paper

  • Trump’s Breezy Calls To World Leaders Leave Diplomats Aghast

    Trump’s Breezy Calls To World Leaders Leave Diplomats Aghast

    On Thursday, the White House weighed in with an offer of professional help. The press secretary, Josh Earnest, urged the president-elect to make use of the State Department’s policy makers and diplomats in planning and conducting his encounters with foreign leaders.

    “President Obama benefited enormously from the advice and expertise that’s been shared by those who serve at the State Department,” Mr. Earnest said. “I’m confident that as President-elect Trump takes office, those same State Department employees will stand ready to offer him advice as he conducts the business of the United States overseas.”

    “Hopefully he’ll take it,” he added.

    A spokesman for the State Department, John Kirby, said the department was “helping facilitate and support calls as requested.” But he declined to give details, and it was not clear to what extent Mr. Trump was availing himself of the nation’s diplomats.

    Mr. Trump’s conversation with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif of Pakistan has generated the most angst, because, as Mr. Earnest put it, the relationship between Mr. Sharif’s country and the United States is “quite complicated,” with disputes over issues ranging from counterterrorism to nuclear proliferation.

    In a remarkably candid readout of the phone call, the Pakistani government said Mr. Trump had told Mr. Sharif that he was “a terrific guy” who made him feel as though “I’m talking to a person I have known for long.” He described Pakistanis as “one of the most intelligent people.” When Mr. Sharif invited him to visit Pakistan, the president-elect replied that he would “love to come to a fantastic country, fantastic place of fantastic people.”

    The Trump transition office, in its more circumspect readout, said only that Mr. Trump and Mr. Sharif “had a productive conversation about how the United States and Pakistan will have a strong working relationship in the future.” It did not confirm or deny the Pakistani account of Mr. Trump’s remarks.

    The breezy tone of the readout left diplomats in Washington slack-jawed, with some initially assuming it was a parody. In particular, they zeroed in on Mr. Trump’s offer to Mr. Sharif “to play any role you want me to play to address and find solutions to the country’s problems.”

    That was interpreted by some in India as an offer by the United States to mediate Pakistan’s border dispute with India in Kashmir, something that the Pakistanis have long sought and that India has long resisted.

    “By taking such a cavalier attitude to these calls, he’s encouraging people not to take him seriously,” said Daniel F. Feldman, a former special representative to Afghanistan and Pakistan. “He’s made himself not only a bull in a china shop, but a bull in a nuclear china shop.”

    Husain Haqqani, a former Pakistani ambassador to Washington, said his government’s decision to release a rough transcript of Mr. Trump’s remarks was a breach of protocol that demonstrated how easily Pakistani leaders misread signals from their American counterparts.

    “Pakistan is one country where knowing history and details matters most,” Mr. Haqqani said, “and where the U.S. cannot afford to give wrong signals, given the history of misunderstandings.”

    At one level, Mr. Trump’s warm sentiments were surprising, given that during the campaign, he called for temporarily barring Muslims from entering the United States to avoid importing would-be terrorists.

    His conversation with Mr. Sharif also came a day after an attack at Ohio State University in which a Somali-born student, Abdul Razak Ali Artan, rammed a car into a group of pedestrians and slashed several people with a knife before being shot and killed by the police. Law enforcement officials said Mr. Artan, whom the Islamic State has claimed as a “soldier,” had lived in Pakistan for seven years before coming to the United States in 2014.

    Mr. Obama never visited Pakistan as president, even though he had a circle of Pakistani friends in college and spoke fondly of the country. The White House weighed a visit at various times but always decided against it, according to officials, because of security concerns or because it would be perceived as rewarding Pakistani leaders for what many American officials said was their lack of help in fighting terrorism.

    “It sends a powerful message to the people of a country when the president of the United States goes to visit,” Mr. Earnest said. “That’s true whether it’s some of our closest allies, or that’s also true if it’s a country like Pakistan, with whom our relationship is somewhat more complicated.”

    Mr. Trump’s call with President Nursultan A. Nazarbayev of Kazakhstan raised similar questions.

    Mr. Nazarbayev has ruled his country with an iron hand since 1989, first as head of the Communist Party and later as president after Kazakhstan won its independence from the Soviet Union. In April 2015, he won a fifth term, winning 97.7 percent of the vote and raising suspicions of fraud.

    The Kazakh government, in its account of Mr. Trump’s conversation, said he had lavished praise on the president for his leadership of the country over the last 25 years. “D. Trump stressed that under the leadership of Nursultan Nazarbayev, our country over the years of independence had achieved fantastic success that can be called a ‘miracle,’” it said.

    The statement went on to say that Mr. Trump had shown solidarity with the Kazakh government over its decision to voluntarily surrender the nuclear arsenal it inherited from the Soviets. “There is no more important issue than the nuclear disarmament and nonproliferation, which must be addressed in a global context,” it quoted Mr. Trump as saying.

    Mr. Trump’s statement said that Mr. Nazarbayev had congratulated him on his victory, and that Mr. Trump had reciprocated by congratulating him on the 25th anniversary of his country. Beyond that, it said only that the two leaders had “addressed the importance of strengthening regional partnerships.”

    Source: The New York Times

  • Osman Sulaiman: Myanmar’s Treatment Of Its Minorities Are Appalling, Why No Condemnation?

    Osman Sulaiman: Myanmar’s Treatment Of Its Minorities Are Appalling, Why No Condemnation?

    Aung Sang Suu Kyi is a Nobel Peace Prize winner but yet remain deafeningly silent on the treatment of Rohingyas in Myanmar.

    In United Nation’s own word, Rohingya maybe enduring crimes against humanity and Myanmar is carrying out ethnic cleansing of Rohingya.

    Today, I went to the Embassy of Myanmar to hand deliver a letter from a few concerned citizens about the plights of the Rohingyas.

    Their representative spoke to us from a distance as we were not allowed to enter its premises. They refused to accept our letter and thereafter instructed the security guard to communicate with us.

    After a few short exchanges, we were told to drop our letter outside the gate in what seems like a letter box.

    While all this is happening, the representative hid behind the security counter, not even brave enough to accept a harmless letter from us.

    They are only good at killing defenceless humans but shudder to even receive a letter.

    Myanmar’s treatment of its minorities is appalling and should be condemned by ASEAN Leaders. Humanity must transcend politics.

     

    Source: Osman Sulaiman

  • Pelawak Fakkah Fuzz Kini Antara 20 ‘Orang Paling Kelakar Di Dunia’

    Pelawak Fakkah Fuzz Kini Antara 20 ‘Orang Paling Kelakar Di Dunia’

    Pelawak spontan Singapura, Fakkah Fuzz, kini di kalangan 20 ‘Orang Paling Kelakar di Dunia’.

    Ini setelah beliau menjadi salah seorang daripada 20 peserta yang berjaya melangkah ke peringkat separuh akhir pertandingan tersebut, yang akan berlangsung dari 4 Disember hingga 10 Disember ini, di Finland.

    Di peringkat saringan, pertandingan anjuran kelab komedi popular Laugh Factory di Hollywood itu, sebenarnya disertai oleh 89 peserta dari 56 negara.

    Jadi ini bermakna, Fakkah Fuzz berjaya mengalahkan sekitar 70 pelawak lain dari serata dunia, sejauh ini. Antara pelawak lain yang turut tersenarai dalam 20 peserta separuh akhir ialah Harith Iskander dari Malaysia dan Melanie Maras dari Indonesia.

    FUZZ: “TAK AKAN SIA-SIAKAN PELUANG INI”

    Dalam persiapannya menjelang peringkat separuh akhir itu, Fakkah Fuzz memberitahu BERITAMediacorp: “Pengalaman menjejakkan kaki ke sana seperti luar dari alam nyata. Masih sukar untuk saya percaya.

    “Walaupun saya bimbang akan cuaca sejuk dan penerbangan selama 18 jam, saya berasa sangat teruja untuk bertanding dan tak akan sia-siakan peluang ini.”

    Malah, Fakkah Fuzz atau nama sebenarnya Muhammad Fadzri Abdul Rashid, kini menumpukan mindanya pada bahan yang ingin disampaikan nanti.

    “Komedi adalah subjektif tetapi saya akan memberikan persembahan yang terbaik dan tidak mahu menyesali apa-apa,” katanya lagi, yang pernah menyertai Super Spontan Upsize bersama para pelawak Malaysia.

    PELUANG UNTUK DUNIA KENALI KOMEDI SINGAPURA

    Fuzz turut berpendapat bahawa pertandingan ini dapat mengiktiraf bakat Singapura di persada dunia.

    “Dengan kemenangan Joseph Schooling di Olimpik Rio baru-baru ini, perhatian dunia kini tertumpu kepada Singapura. Penyertaan saya dalam pertandingan ini adalah cara saya untuk sama-sama menyumbang kepada dunia komedi dan Singapura.

    “Ia juga membolehkan orang ramai untuk mengenali negara, masyarakat dan identiti kami,” tambahnya.

    Menurut Fuzz, orang ramai juga boleh menjangkakan jenakanya yang berdasarkan pengalaman beliau sebagai seorang rakyat Singapura, seorang Muslim muda dan pandangan dunia terhadap kedua-dua identiti ini.

    Beliau turut memberitahu BERITAMediacorp bahawa beliau mahu berkongsi jenaka yang bukan sekadar menyerlahkan perbezaan antara negara, malah lebih kepada persamaan.

    “Kami semua mempunyai banyak persamaan dari segi muzik dan makanan. Saya ingin mencipta penyatuan dan menunjukkan bahawa kita sebenarnya tidak jauh berbeza,” katanya lagi.

    FAKKAH FUZZ LAWAN HARITH ISKANDER?

    Enggan menggelar pelawak Malaysia Harith Iskander sebagai pesaing terhebat, Fuzz bagaimanapun tidak menyangkal bahawa Harith ialah seseorang yang sangat memberi inspirasi kepada dirinya.

    “Saya sangat menghormati dirinya sehingga ada masanya saya berasa seperti saya tidak setara dengan dirinya sebagai seorang pelawak veteran.

    “Walau demikian, saya tidak sabar untuk berkongsi cerita dengannya sepanjang perjalanan dan lebih tahu tentang cara kerjanya sehingga membuat dirinya seorang pelawak yang berjaya,” dedahnya.

    Beliau turut menambah: “Saya akan berasa sangat gembira jika saya dapat melangkah ke peringkat akhir. Tetapi jika tidak, sekurang-kurangnya saya sudah dapat membawa seni saya dan membuat persembahan di sebuah platform antarabangsa.”

    Para peserta yang bertanding di peringkat separuh akhir akan membuat persembahan di hadapan panel juri di Finland.

    Mereka juga akan dinilai berdasarkan jumlah undian Indi Buzz dan keputusan panel, yang merangkumi masing-masing 50 peratus.

    Lima finalis bakal dipilih, di mana video mereka tersendiri juga akan dibuka bagi pusingan undian yang terakhir.

    Fakkah Fuzz dijadualkan bertolak ke Finland pada malam Sabtu ini.

    Source: Berita MediaCorp

deneme bonusu