Author: Rilek1Corner

  • US-Led Forces Strike Syrian Troops, Russia Calls Emergency UN Meeting

    US-Led Forces Strike Syrian Troops, Russia Calls Emergency UN Meeting

    US-led coalition air strikes killed dozens of Syrian soldiers on Saturday (Sept 17), Russia and a monitoring group said, putting a US-Russian brokered ceasefire in jeopardy and prompting Moscow to seek an emergency UN Security Council meeting.

    The United States military said the coalition stopped the air strike against what it had believed to be Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS)  positions in north-east Syria after Russia informed it that Syrian military personnel and vehicles may have been hit.

    A US military official said he was “pretty sure” targets mistakenly hit in the coalition strikes were Syrian forces.

    Russia called for an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council after the air strikes, which allowed ISIS militants to briefly overrun a Syrian army position near Deir al-Zor airport.

    The 15-member body is due to meet behind closed doors at 7.30pm EDT (7.30am on Sunday, Singapore time), diplomats said.

    “We are reaching a really terrifying conclusion for the whole world: That the White House is defending Islamic State. Now there can be no doubts about that,” the RIA Novosti news agency quoted Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova as saying.

    She said the strikes threatened to undermine the ceasefire in Syria brokered by Russia, which has been aiding Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad in the civil war, and the United States, which has backed some rebel groups.

    The Russian Defence Ministry said US jets had killed more than 60 Syrian soldiers in four air strikes by two F-16s and two A-10s coming from the direction of Iraq.

    The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitoring group with contacts across the country, cited a military source at Deir al-Zor airport as saying that at least 80 Syrian soldiers had been killed.

    The ceasefire, which took effect on Monday, is the most significant peacemaking effort in Syria for months but has been undermined by repeated accusations of violations on both sides and by a failure to bring humanitarian aid to besieged areas.

    As well as the US and Russian involvement, Assad is supported by Iran and Arab Shi’ite militias, while Sunni rebels seeking to unseat him are backed by Turkey and Gulf Arab states.

    All those warring parties are also sworn enemies of ISIS, whose territory extends along the Euphrates valley from the Iraqi border, including around Deir al-Zor, up to land near Syria’s frontier with Turkey.

    In its sixth year, the conflict has cost hundreds of thousands of lives, displaced half of Syria’s pre-war population, prompted a refugee crisis in the Middle East and Europe and inspired a wave of  Islamic militant attacks across the world.

    Syria’s army said the strikes, which took place at around 5pm (10pm Singapore time) were “conclusive evidence” of US support for ISIS, calling them “dangerous and blatant aggression”.

    The US military said in its statement that Syria was a “complex situation” but that “coalition forces would not intentionally strike a known Syrian military unit”.

    ISIS said via its Amaq news channel it had taken complete control of Jebel Tharda, where the bombed position was located, which would have allowed it to overlook government-held areas of Deir al-Zor.

    The city’s airport and some districts have been entirely surrounded by ISIS since last year, with the airport providing their only external access.

    However, Russia and Syrian state media said the Syrian army later recaptured positions it lost. The Observatory monitoring group said at least 20 ISIS fighters were killed in heavy Russian air strikes during that fighting.

    The incident threatens to undermine not only the ceasefire agreement, but also proposed joint targeting by the United States and Russia of ISIS and some other jihadist groups across Syria.

    SHAKY TRUCE

    Earlier on Saturday, Russia and Syrian rebels cast doubt over the prospects for the increasingly shaky ceasefire, with Moscow saying the situation was worsening and a senior insurgent warning that the truce “will not hold out”.

    While the ceasefire has reduced fighting, some violence has persisted across Syria. Meanwhile, there has been little movement on promised aid deliveries to besieged areas and both sides have accused the other of bad faith.

    Russia’s Defence Ministry said conditions in Syria were deteriorating, adding that it believed the ceasefire had been breached 199 times by rebels and saying the United States would be responsible if it were to collapse.

    After the Deir al-Zor air strike, it said Moscow had told the United States to rein in the Syrian opposition and make sure it did not launch a new offensive, adding that it had told Washington about a concentration of rebels north of Hama.

    Insurgents say they only reluctantly accepted the initial deal, which they believe is skewed against them, because it could relieve the dire humanitarian situation in besieged areas they control, and blamed Russia for undermining the truce.

    “The truce, as we have warned, and we told the (US) State Department – will not hold out,” a senior rebel official in Aleppo said, pointing to the continued presence of a UN aid convoy at the Turkish border awaiting permission to enter.

    Rebels have also accused Russia of using the ceasefire to give the Syrian army and allied Shi’ite militias a chance to regroup and deploy forces ready for their own offensives.

    OVERNIGHT SHELLING

    Both sides have accused the other of being responsible for aid deliveries being stuck far from Aleppo, where army and rebel forces were supposed to pull back from the Castello Road which leads into besieged, insurgent-held eastern districts.

    Russia on Friday said the Syrian army had initially withdrawn but returned to its positions after being fired on by rebels, who in turn say they saw no sign of government forces ever leaving their positions. “There is no change,” said Zakariya Malahifji, an official for a rebel group in Aleppo on Saturday, asked whether there had been any move by the army to withdraw from positions along the road.

    Syria’s government said it was doing all that was necessary for the arrival of aid to those in need it in all parts of the country, particularly to eastern Aleppo.

    Two convoys of aid for Aleppo have been waiting at the Turkish border for days. The UN has said both sides in the war are to blame for the delay of aid to Aleppo, where neither has yet withdrawn from the Castello Road into the city.

    The government said the road was being fired on by rebels, which they deny, so it could not give convoys a guarantee of safety.

    Senior UN officials have accused the government of not providing letters to allow convoys to reach other besieged areas in Syria.

     

    Source: The Straits Times

  • EP Voting Process ‘Must Not Be Turned Into A Farce’

    EP Voting Process ‘Must Not Be Turned Into A Farce’

    Should an election still be held for an unopposed presidential candidate? Would some Singaporeans view the proposed changes to the Elected Presidency (EP) as the Government facilitating a preferred candidate next year?

    These were among the questions raised on Sunday (Sept 18) in the latest of a series of dialogues on the EP scheme and the Government’s White Paper released on Thursday.

    Responding to the question on whether an unopposed candidate should still secure a majority vote to become the President, Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam said Singapore must ensure the voting process is not opened up to criticism and ridicule.

    The scenario of an individual who steps forward to run for the position but does not get a majority vote could make Singapore a “laughing stock”, he said, as the country would not have a President and would have to call another election.

    “We must balance between the ability to represent and also make the process something that doesn’t turn into a farce,” Mr Shanmugam said to the 1,300 residents and grassroots leaders from Central Singapore District who attended the dialogue.

    He referred to how founding Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew had won elections unopposed, with no question whether Mr Lee lacked the moral authority, given that he had presented himself for elections but no one wanted to contest against him.

    “We have the rules — people can take part. If they don’t take part, then whoever takes part becomes the President. I think it’s a neater process,” he said.

    Mr Shanmugam had spent about 40 minutes of the two-hour session at the Institute of Technical Education College Central explaining the Government’s response to the Constitutional Commission’s recommendations.

    In response to a participant who doubted Singaporeans would vote for a minority candidate, Mr Shanmugam said that while the majority of Singaporeans are capable of voting for a minority President, race remains a factor within a segment of the population.

    Referring to the Group Representation Constituency system, which guarantees minority representation in Parliament, he noted how it prevented people from discussing race during elections.

    Another question asked was whether five terms, or 30 years, is too long before a reserved election is called for a particular race that has not had an Elected President.

    To this, Mr Shanmugam said: “Many people would say we don’t need (a reserved election), many people will say we need it, and it cannot be 30 years (or) five terms — it should be shorter. The Government is trying to do what is right here.”

    And on whether the Elected President from a reserved election would have the moral authority to disagree with the Government, he noted that regardless of race, the President has to meet the same qualifying criteria.

    These candidates would also have to prove themselves and win the most number of votes if there is a contest. “I think such a person will have the credibility and competence to say no to the Government when necessary,” he added.

    While there are potential minority candidates from the private sector, Mr Shanmugam declined to name any when asked if he could identify some potential Malay candidates under the higher qualifying threshold, given that it has been a while since Singapore had a Malay president.

    To another question, he said the Council of Presidential Advisers should not be elected to avoid politicising their roles.

    And on the suggestion that the qualifying criteria be pegged to a percentage of the country’s Gross Domestic Product, Mr Shanmugam said there could be other qualifying criteria to consider in future.

    Speaking to TODAY, Bizlink senior trainer Zainbu Mohamed Ghouse, 57, felt that the session seemed to centre on the Government’s plans for the EP rather than on reaching out to the ground.

    “We feel that the purpose of having this session was just for formality, just to let you know that you’re being heard, but it may not be the situation,” said Ms Zainbu, who is also a grassroots member with Jalan Besar Bendemeer Residents’ Committee.

    But businessman Terry Lee, 47, who is a grassroots leader with Potong Pasir Neighbourhood Committee, said the session was useful to him, as he will be able to verbalise some of the issues raised to other residents.

     

    Source: TODAY Online

  • Penyakit Aneh: Wanita Tiba-Tiba Lupa Macam Mana Berjalan Tetapi Masih Boleh Berlari

    Penyakit Aneh: Wanita Tiba-Tiba Lupa Macam Mana Berjalan Tetapi Masih Boleh Berlari

    Pelik tetapi benar. Juga menyeramkan.

    Bayangkan jika anda bangun tidur dan secara tiba-tiba anda terlupa bagaimana untuk berjalan sedangkan anda tidak mempunyai masalah kesihatan sebelum itu.

    Bagi Cik Miranda Licence, itulah yang terjadi dan ia ibarat mimpi ngeri yang membingungkan.

    Awal daripada itu, Cik License tidur siang untuk berehat setelah pulang dari berlari-lari anak, namun apabila bangun beliau tiba-tiba menyedari tangan dan kakinya tidak dapat dikawal dan beliau tidak dapat berjalan.

    Cik License dikejarkan ke hospital dan pelbagai ujian dijalankan oleh para doktor namun tiada satu pun diagnosis perubatan yang dapat menjelaskan kelumpuhan secara tiba-tiba itu, lapor laman Daily Mail.

    TIDAK BOLEH JALAN TETAPI BOLEH LARI, JALAN KE BELAKANG!

    Yang semakin membingungkan Cik License adalah beliau kemudiannya mampu untuk berlari dan berjalan – tetapi ke belakang, bukan ke depan!

    Beliau langsung tidak boleh berjalan ke depan.

    “Saya tahu saya sepatutnya boleh berjalan kerana tiada apa di dalam otak saya yang menghalang saya, namun saya tetap tidak dapat melakukannya,” Cik License memberitahu Daily Mail Australia.

    Cik License kemudian didiagnosis dengan gangguan fungsi simptom neurologi (FND), di mana pesakit mengalami masalah pada sistem saraf pusat.

    Setelah menjalani rawatan fisioterapi, Cik License mula berlari dan berjalan ke belakang di sekitar kawasan hospital, namun beliau masih tidak boleh berjalan ke depan seperti biasa.

    TIBA-TIBA BOLEH JALAN SEMULA

    Selepas enam minggu dalam keadaan sedemikian, Cik License keluar bersama teman lelaki beliau dan pada ketika itu beliau menyedari sesuatu yang menakjubkan.

    “Saya sedang berjalan bersama teman lelaki saya, Sam dan kami sedang berbual-bual apabila tiba-tiba saya menyedari saya sedang berjalan,” kata beliau.

    Itulah kali pertama beliau berjalan dalam tempoh hampir dua bulan, lapor Daily Mail.

    Selepas tujuh minggu, Cik License disahkan dapat berjalan seperti sedia kala seolah-olah mimpi ngeri itu tidak pernah berlaku.

    Mengingati kembali insiden misteri yang membingungkan semua orang itu, Cik License berkata, beliau mempelajari nilai kesabaran di tengah-tengah ujian.

    Source: Berita MediaCorp

  • Singaporeans Have To Save 9 Years Longer For Retirement Than Previous Generations: HSBC Survey

    Singaporeans Have To Save 9 Years Longer For Retirement Than Previous Generations: HSBC Survey

    Hit by the rising cost of living, workers in Singapore have to save nine years longer for an adequate retirement compared to previous generations, according to an HSBC report released on Wednesday (July 13).

    According to the report, the average Singaporean starts saving for retirement at 32 and continues for another 29 years. This is nine years more than their predecessors, who saved an average of 20 years, starting later at age 39.

    Despite the longer and earlier period of saving, 41 per cent of current working age Singaporeans wish they had started to save earlier – and more than one-third or 38 per cent have stopped saving altogether due to various difficulties.

    Said Mr Matthew Colebrook, head of Retail Banking and Wealth Management, HSBC Bank (Singapore), said: “The unfortunate causality of a rising cost of living is that people nowadays are having to save further and for longer than their predecessors. Unfortunately in many instances, life events are also getting in the way from setting aside money earlier or in a consistent manner.”

    The HSBC Future of Retirement: Generations and Journeys report is based on the views of more than 18,000 people in 17 countries, including a total of 1,008 Singaporeans (both working age and retired).

    The survey also found that Singaporeans are predominantly using cash savings, supplemented by day-to-day salary and a property downsize to fund their retirement.

    The report finds that 21 per cent of Singaporeans – compared to the global average of 6 per cent – expect to downsize or sell a property to help them to fund their retirement.

    According to the report, 60 per cent of working age Singaporeans surveyed expect to draw on cash savings to fund their retirement. A further 40 per cent highlighted that they will continue to work, with 12 per cent saying they rely on government pension schemes.

    Said Mr Colebrook: “The report reveals a degree of tunnel-vision amongst Singaporeans with cash savings and property being the key investments of choice – often at the exclusion of almost any other asset class.

    “But all asset classes’ performance will rise and fall as the current softening of the Singapore property market and low deposit rate environment show us. This speaks volumes for why it is important to seek diversification in a savings plan.”

    Lack of information on retirement may potentially be one of the reasons why working age Singaporeans have not started planning for their retirement, said HSBC.

    According to its survey, 26 per cent of pre-retirees here say they have never received advice or information about retirement. Findings also show that 23 per cent of pre-retirees have not started saving (on par with global average of 24 per cent), including 10 per cent who are aged 60 or over.

    Mr Colebrook added: “While Singaporeans are savvy savers in general, they may not have the relevant knowledge to help them start saving or consider investment options in order to sustain the lifestyle they had before retirement.”

     

    Source: The Straits Times

  • Lebih 3,000 Penduduk Ke Pelbagai Rumah Ibadat, Saling Belajar Tentang Agama lain

    Lebih 3,000 Penduduk Ke Pelbagai Rumah Ibadat, Saling Belajar Tentang Agama lain

    Lebih 3,000 penduduk dari sembilan kawasan undi berjalan bersama dalam satu semangat perpaduan.

    Bermula dari kawasan undi masing-masing, mereka membuat persinggahan di rumah-rumah ibadah sepanjang jalan.

    Para penduduk Bukit Batok misalnya menyaksikan upacara sembahyang di sebuah gereja.

    Penduduk Bukit Gombak pula ke Masjid AlKhair berpeluang mempelajari rukun Islam dengan lebih mendalam manakala beberapa penduduk lainnya melawat sebuah kuil Taoist.

    Acara ini sebahagian daripada daya usaha Kumpulan Bina Keyakinan Antara Kaum atau IRCC untuk menggalak keharmonian kaum dan agama di Singapura.

    Source: Berita MediaCorp

deneme bonusu