Blog

  • Police Told To Resist Undue Influence Of MUI

    Police Told To Resist Undue Influence Of MUI

    Following the decision of some local police leaders to back a campaign by firebrand Muslim groups to crack down on Christmas celebrations, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has instructed National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian to uphold discipline among members of the force and make efforts to prevent their power from being abused by hardline groups.

    During a meeting with Tito at the State Palace on Monday, Jokowi said that the police force must work only to implement official rules and regulations.

    “Our existing rules are laws, government regulations, presidential regulations, ministerial regulations and so on, including a regulation from the police chief himself. That should be the ground rule,” Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung said.

    Jokowi summoned Tito on Monday following the decision by police chiefs in Bekasi in West Java and Kulon Progo regency in Yogyakarta to issue circulars ordering local officers to uphold an edict issued by the Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI) banning Muslims from wearing Christmas attributes, such as Santa hats. The MUI issued the fatwa on Dec. 14.

    Bekasi Police issued its circular on Dec. 15 while Kulonprogo Police released its circular on Dec. 17.

    Over the weekend, police in Surabaya, East Java, also came under fire for their failure to prevent members of the hardline Islam Defenders Front (FPI) from cracking down on business establishments that allowed their employees to wear Christmas attributes.

    Earlier on Monday, Tito ordered police officers to get tough on members and activists of hardline groups who carried out intolerant acts.

    “I instruct all police officers to arrest and take action against those who want to promote disorder. We shouldn’t bow to those groups,” Tito said.

    Tito also ordered members of the corps to keep an eye on groups that carried out intolerant acts under the guise of publicity programs for the MUI edicts.

    “Also, if we find some groups that carry out raids while claiming to be conducting ‘familiarization’, but in fact bring fear to people, we must take the initiative to stop them,” Tito said.

    The police chief said that he would discuss the issue with the MUI in the coming days.

    “I will talk with the MUI so that they take tolerance and Bhinneka Tunggal Ika [the country’s motto of “unity in diversity”] into consideration when they want to issue a fatwa,” he added.

    Jan Sihar Aritonang, a professor at the Theology School Jakarta, said that the MUI had wrongly identified symbols of consumerism, such as the Santa hat, as part of Christianity.

    “Production and distribution of such attributes are not directly related to Christianity. Until now, Christian churches have never reached any consensus about what could be considered as attributes or symbols for Christmas. They are just a tradition in some churches, particularly in Europe and America,” Jan said.

    Responding to the actions of the FPI in Surabaya, the MUI said that any Muslim groups that took the initiative to disseminate information regarding the Christmas edict should not use force against business owners who were unaware of the call.

    “The information about the fatwa can be relayed by sending one person to inform shop owners about it, or a letter should be enough,” said the MUI’s edict division head, Hasanuddin AF.

    Religious Affairs Minister Lukman Hakim Saifuddin meanwhile said that no private organizations had the authority to conduct such raids.

     

    Source: The Jakarta Post

  • Hafiz Goes For Thai Audition

    Hafiz Goes For Thai Audition

    Hassan Sunny may be leaving the Thai Premier League (TPL) after his contract with Army United was cancelled, but Singapore may yet have a representative in Thai football when the 2017 season kicks off.

    Hafiz Abu Sujad left for Thailand yesterday for a week-long trial with two clubs – TPL side Sisaket FC and Big Bang Chula United (BBCU) who ply their trade in the Thai second tier.

    The 26-year-old has already committed his future to Tampines Rovers, but he left for Thailand with the blessings of the Stags.

    Tampines had also allowed Hassan to go for trials with Army United in January 2015, leaving the door open for him to return should he fail the audition.

    And they are giving Hafiz the same treatment.

    “As a club, we have historically always supported the 
professional advancement of our players,” said Tampines chairman Krishna Ramachandra.

    “So although we have just signed Hafiz for another year, this is an important break for him and we all hope he gets an offer.

    “I do not want to lose him for the 2017 season but, in the longer term, this would be great for his career. It will raise his game to the next level and, ultimately, this will be great for Singapore football.”

    A rule change in Thai football could work in Hafiz’s favour.

    Starting in 2017, Thai football authorities will introduce an Asean player slot for teams in its second-tier clubs, with the TPL adopting the change the following year.

    This means clubs will be able to sign three foreign players, an Asian player and now, an Asean player.

    Abdul Halim, the managing director of Offside Sports Management, helped arrange Hafiz’s trials with the two Thai clubs, and he is confident that the left-footed player can make an impression.

    “He was one of the most consistent performers in the S.League last season, and that has not gone unnoticed,” Halim told The New Paper.

    Hafiz was the only Singaporean in the list of nominees for the S.League’s Player of the Year award, alongside Atsushi Kawata from champions Albirex Niigata, Hougang United’s Fumiya Kogure and Home United’s Danish striker Ken Ilso.

    The award went to Kawata.

    Hafiz was hoping to put himself in the shop window at the recently concluded Asean Football Federation Suzuki Cup, but it did not go according to plan.

    Hafiz’s involvement lasted all of 34 minutes.

    As he turned to try to control a bouncing ball in Singapore’s opening fixture against the Philippines, Hafiz raised his left leg high and caught Phil Younghusband coming in from his blind side.

    He was given a straight red card and, with Singapore failing to survive the group stages, the midfielder did not see further action in the biennial tournament.

    Despite what will go down as a poor tournament for Hafiz, Halim remained hopeful that Sisaket and BBCU will be impressed once they take a closer look at him.

    “I’m confident that with Hafiz’s ability and experience, he can be an asset,” said Halim.”There are a few clubs who are looking for a player with his qualities.”

     

    Source: The New Paper

  • British Embassy Questioned Whether Malaysian PM Cleared Of Corruption

    British Embassy Questioned Whether Malaysian PM Cleared Of Corruption

    The British embassy in Kuala Lumpur has questioned a claim by the Malaysian prime minister, Najib Razak, that his country’s anti-graft agency had cleared him of corruption, according to a diplomatic cable seen by the Guardian.

    Malaysia’s anti-corruption commission (MACC) said in August last year that its investigation had found that nearly US$700m had been deposited into Najib’s personal bank account from unnamed “donors”.

    It did not elaborate on the donor or why they transferred funds to Najib’s private accounts but said the money was not from the debt-laden state fund 1MDB, which had been the focus of the scandal.

    Five days later, Najib told members of his ruling party that the MACC had cleared him of corruption allegations.

    But a diplomatic telegram sent to London from the British High Commission in the Malaysian capital suggested the embassy queried that claim.

    “Najib announced the MACC had exonerated him of corruption and the funds in his bank account were a donation from the Middle East and not from 1MDB,” it said.

    “There has been no official MACC statement to this effect.”

    Opponents of Najib, who denies taking money for personal gain, say the funds may have originated from 1MDB but were laundered internationally. Malaysia’s attorney general said in January 2016 that the money was a gift from the Saudi Arabian government.

    The UK has been criticised for not speaking out more firmly against one of the world’s biggest financial scandals. Former British prime minister David Cameron was chided for meeting Najib shortly after the story broke last July.

    The British cable was released under a freedom of information request made by the Guardian but was heavily redacted to include mostly factual reporting of events in Malaysia.

    The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said the redactions were made as some of the information may “prejudice relations between the United Kingdom and other states if it was disclosed.

    “In this case, the release of some information within diptel [diplomatic telegram] reporting could harm our relations with Malaysia.”

    Najib sought to contain the greatest threat to his power by suspending two newspapers, removing a deputy who openly criticised him, and sacking the country’s top attorney, who had been leading the official investigation.

    The man he replaced him with closed the case and ended the MACC investigation in January by clearing Najib, to the anger of opposition figures.

    While Cameron’s staff said he had pressed Najib over claims he had stolen government money, the regional trip was intended to boost trade ties and coordinate efforts to fight ISIS.

    However, several countries are conducting publicly-declared investigations into the alleged misappropriation of billions of dollars siphoned from 1MDB, which has debts of over US$11 billion and whose advisory board Najib chaired.

    Switzerland said the sum suspected to have been stolen from 1MDB amounts to around US$4bn, some of which was transferred to accounts held in Switzerland by various former Malaysian public officials.

    And the US attorney general announced it “seeks to recover more than US$1bn laundered through the United States”, the largest corruption investigation in the country’s history.

    Najib contends the allegations are part of a opposition-led campaign to force him from office. 1MDB has also denied transferring funds to Najib.

    The US investigation details a complex network of international transactions it says were used to launder money from 1MDB into high-end real estate in New York and Los Angeles, a US$35m jet aircraft, and paintings by Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet.

    Funds are also alleged to have been diverted to make the 2013 film The Wolf of Wall Street, a Hollywood production about a corrupt stockbroker played by Leonardo DiCaprio.

    The MACC has since announced it will cooperate with the FBI.

    “The Department of Justice will not allow the American financial system to be used as a conduit for corruption,” US attorney general Loretta Lynch said.

    The US complaint document alleged Najib’s stepson Riza Aziz bought a luxury home in Belgravia, London for £23.25m using diverted funds. It said misappropriated monies were also used to buy nearly £2m in services from a UK-based interior decorator.

    The UK is reported to have started its own investigation, although this has not been officially confirmed.

    The Guardian opened freedom of information requests into potential 1MDB investigations in the UK with the Home Office, HMRC, the Metropolitan Police, and the Serious Fraud Office during the past year.

    All have been rejected.

     

    Source: The Guardian

  • What You Should Eat If You Have High Cholesterol

    What You Should Eat If You Have High Cholesterol

    High fat, low fat, no carb, more carb – when it comes to getting information on eating to manage high blood cholesterol, confusion reigns.

    From recent trials that tested the impact of specific foods on blood cholesterol, it was found that eating more nuts, plant sterols (molecules found in plants), legumes and olive oil helps to lower blood cholesterol.

    The bad news? Junk foods raise blood cholesterol, especially bad cholesterol (LDL). Eating less lowers it.

    EAT PLANT STEROLS
AND MARGARINES

    Plant sterols are concentrated from plant sources and added to some commonly eaten foods such as margarines, spreads or milk.Plant sterols, or phytosterols, are chemically similar to blood cholesterol and are found in some plant foods, including nuts.

    Plant sterols compete with two other types of cholesterol for absorption in the gut – pre-made cholesterol, found in foods such as prawns; and cholesterol, which is made in your liver.

    This “competition” lowers the amount of cholesterol that ends up in your blood.

    A review concluded that 2g of plant sterols a day leads to an 8 to 10 per cent reduction in LDL cholesterol.

    The type of fat the plant sterols are mixed with is important.

    A meta-analysis of 32 randomised control trials, involving about 2,100 people, found bigger reductions in total cholesterol (a mix of good and bad types) and LDL cholesterol when plant sterols were added to margarines or spreads derived from canola or rapeseed oil, rather than sunflower or soya bean oil.

    EAT NUTS

    Nuts are high in protein and fat, but the amounts of polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fat vary.

    In a review of 25 trials, eating 67g of nuts a day led to a 5.1 per cent reduction in total cholesterol and 7.4 per cent cut for LDL.

    People with higher LDL cholesterol or who were not overweight had a bigger improvement.

    Do note that half a cup of nuts contains 400 calories, so you need to eat nuts instead of another food, or eat less each day but have it every day.

    
USE OLIVE OIL

    Olive oil contains a high proportion of monounsaturated fat.

    More than 80 per cent of its compounds are lost during the refining process, so less refined varieties, such as virgin olive oil, are a better choice.

    A review of eight trials that involved 350 people consuming high phenolic olive oil found medium effects on lowering blood pressure and small effects on lowering oxidised LDL, with no significant effects on total or LDL cholesterol.

    Another trial randomly selected more than 7,400 men and women at high risk of heart disease to follow three diets: the Mediterranean diet plus extra-virgin olive oil, or Mediterranean diet plus nuts, or a control diet (low fat).

    Five years later, a follow-up showed that those in the olive oil and nut groups had a 30 per cent lower risk of heart attack, stroke or death from heart disease, compared to those on the control diet.

    In a recent trial, 47 men and women substituted 4.5 per cent of their usual food intake of olive oil or butter for five weeks, and then crossed over to the other group for another five weeks.

    Researchers found total and LDL cholesterol levels were significantly higher after consuming butter, compared to olive oil.

    EAT LEGUMES

    Legumes and pulses, including baked beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, lentils and split peas, can help lower cholesterol levels.

    The results of 26 randomised control trials, which involved 1,037 people who had either normal or high cholesterol levels, were added together.

    The data showed LDL cholesterol was reduced by 5 per cent in response to eating 130g of pulses per day.

    This is equivalent to one small can of baked beans.

    Pulses are high in vegetable protein and fibre. They lower blood cholesterol in a number of ways.

    The soluble and insoluble fibres help lower cholesterol absorption in the gut and promote the growth of beneficial gut bacteria in the large bowel.

    Legumes and pulses take longer to digest, compared to processed foods. This means you tend to eat less when they are part of a meal.

    
AVOID JUNK FOOD

    In a study, it was found that people were able to make a number of small changes across a range of the foods that lower blood cholesterol levels.

    But the biggest change people made was cutting back on energy-dense, nutrient-poor foods (junk foods) and eating a wider variety of healthy foods.

    The benefits? They lost weight and lowered their cholesterol and blood pressure.

    A big study examined changes in diet-quality scores and heart disease risk in 29,000 men from the Health Professionals Follow-up Study and 51,000 women from the Nurses’ Health Study (1986-2010).

    After four years of follow-up, almost 11,000 people had a heart disease “event”.

    Those who had the biggest improvement in their diet-quality score had a 7 to 8 per cent lower risk.

    When it comes to heart-disease risk factors, get your cholesterol and blood pressure checked the next time you see your doctor.

     

    Source: The New Paper

  • Rancangan Buang 3 Angka – ‘000’ – Daripada Mata Wang Rupiah Indonesia

    Rancangan Buang 3 Angka – ‘000’ – Daripada Mata Wang Rupiah Indonesia

    Anda bingung setiap kali perlu membuat bayaran dengan wang rupiah ketika melancong ke Indonesia dek ‘terlalu banyak sifar’?

    Misalnya 10,000,000 rupiah, sebenarnya bersamaan dengan S$1,080 sahaja.

    Sebagai huraiannya, sistem mata wang Indonesia mungkin akan dijadikan lebih ringkas pada masa depan.

    Gabenor bank pusat Indonesia hari ini (19 Dis) menyatakan bank itu sedang menimbangkan untuk membuang tiga sifar daripada wang kertas rupiah untuk meringkaskan sistem mata wang negara itu. Bermakna, 1,000 rupiah akan menjadi 1 sahaja rupiah!

    Gabenor Bank Indonesia (BI), Agus Martowardojo berkata beliau sudah meminta Presiden Joko Widodo menghidupkan semula satu rancangan yang sebelum ini diketepikan. Iaitu untuk mendenominasi semula atau menyusun semula mata wang rupiah agar ia “lebih berkesan dan lebih ringkas.”

    Satu draf undang-undang yang menyokong langkah itu diserahkan ke parlimen pada 2013 di bawah pemerintah sebelum ini. Namun, draf tersebut diketepikan akibat ketidakstabilan dalam pasaran kewangan Indonesia ketika itu.

    BILA DIJANGKA AKAN DILAKSANAKAN?

    Jika parlimen meluluskan rang undang-undang tersebut tahun depan, bank pusat Indonesia akan memerlukan lagi dua tahun untuk menyiapkan wang-wang kertas yang baru.

    Ia kemudian memerlukan tempoh peralihan lagi tujuh tahun sebelum ia dapat dengan sepenuhnya membuang tiga sifar daripada mata wang itu, katanya.

    “Harga barangan dan perkhidmatan juga perlu diringkaskan. Oleh kerana tempoh peralihan itu, di mana orang ramai boleh menggunakan kedua-dua denominasi lama dan baru untuk wang rupiah, kami pasti ia tidak menjejas inflasi,” kata Encik Martowardojo di pelancaran siri reka-reka bentuk baru bagi wang rupiah.

    Denominasi rupiah yang terbesar sekarang ini ialah 100,000 dan yang paling kecil adalah 1,000. Reka-reka bentuk baru bank pusat bagi wang kertas akan menggunakan sistem denominasi yang sekarang ini dan akan memaparkan tokoh-tokoh sejarah Indonesia.

    Menteri Kewangan Indonesia, Sri Mulyani Indrawati berkata sifar-sifar pada mata wang rupiah mencerminkan sejarah inflasi mata wang itu, dan beliau akan membincangkan saranan itu dengan parlimen, dengan rancangan untuk memperkenalkannya tahun depan. Namun katanya, saranan itu tidak disertakan dalam senarai keutamaan perundangan sekarang ini untuk 2017.

    “Langkah denominasi semula akan memperkukuhkan jaminan dalam mata wang Indonesia, namun ia tidak akan menjejas apa-apa secara nominal,” katanya kepada para wartawan di satu acara berasingan hari ini.

    Source: Berita MediaCorp

deneme bonusu