Blog

  • Horrified Passenger: Uber Driver Ate Fast Food, Drove Using Only One Pinky

    Horrified Passenger: Uber Driver Ate Fast Food, Drove Using Only One Pinky

    Uber driver has taken UberEATS way too literally, and possibly landed himself in hot water.

    With driverless cars all the rage now, one Uber passenger certainly felt like she was riding in one, when the driver of the car she was in allegedly controlled the steering wheel with just a pinky during the ride as he ate his food.

    According to Lianhe Wanbao, a reader identified as Ms Xu, 48, was taking a Uber trip from Pasir Ris to her workplace in Toa Payoh, at around 3pm on Wednesday (Dec 15) when it happened.

    “As soon as I boarded, I could smell the oily fast food,” she told Lianhe Wanbao, “I asked the driver to wind down the windows, and he even asked me ‘why?’.”

    She said the driver held a sauce box in his left hand and picked up fries and chicken nuggets with his right, while driving through the entire 20-minute journey, only holding the steering wheel with his left pinky.

    While she could understand if the driver ate whenever the car stopped at red lights, as he might be so busy he did not have time for meals, she was appalled that he was doing so even while on the expressway.

    “It was really dangerous. What if something had happened? He definitely would not have had time to react,” Ms Xu said, who added that she was frightened throughout the journey.

    As she did not want to confront the driver directly, she took a video to lodge a complaint with Uber. She added that she felt like she was onboard a driverless car.

    “At some point, some sauce dripped onto his pants, and he momentarily took both his hands off the wheel to pick up some tissue and wipe off the mess. It was really outrageous,” Ms Xu told Lianhe Wanbao.

    According to Lianhe Wanbao, Uber has apologised to Ms Xu, and will investigate the matter and take appropriate action against the errant driver.

     

    Source: www.straitstimes.com

  • MHA: Five Maids Worked In Singapore Radicalised But Did Not Pose Imminent Security Threat

    MHA: Five Maids Worked In Singapore Radicalised But Did Not Pose Imminent Security Threat

    In the past two years, five maids working in Singapore were radicalised, although they “did not pose an imminent security threat” at the time, said the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).

    The maids were among some 70 foreigners investigated during that period, and had been radicalised through social media. Some of the foreigners were later deported after the authorities in their home countries were informed of their cases.

    The statement yesterday came after Indonesia’s anti-terror police commandos rounded up four women in the past week on suspicion of terrorism. Among them was Dian Yulia Novi, 27. She had worked in Singapore between 2008 and 2009, said an MHA spokesman.

    Dian had allegedly been planning to mount a suicide bomb attack on the presidential palace in Jakarta. In a television interview broadcast last Tuesday, she said she was first exposed to radical Islam through Facebook by opening profiles of extremists while working as a maid abroad.

    She worked for a family with three children here, and as a maid for three years in Taiwan.

    But Dian did not show signs of being radicalised during her time in Singapore, said the MHA spokesman, who added: “Our security agencies are in contact with their counterparts regarding her case.”

    Most of the 70 foreigners investigated in the past two years “were radicalised through their exposure to radical propaganda on social media”, said MHA. Some then radicalised others using radical propaganda from online sources.

    The Straits Times understands that the five maids were among those radicalised via social media.

    While they did not plan to carry out acts of violence in Singapore at the time they were investigated, their presence posed a security concern for Singapore, MHA said.

    Six Bangladeshis charged with offences under the Terrorism (Suppression of Financing) Act are serving their sentences here.

    With radicalisation through the Internet being a worldwide phenomenon, MHA said social media platform owners have to ensure “their platforms are not used to promote radicalism and terrorism”.

    A more effective approach in the longer term may be sensitising the public to the dangers of extremist rhetoric and equipping them with social media literacy so they will not be vulnerable to terrorist propaganda online, added the ministry. Those who notice people showing signs of radicalisation should inform the authorities.

    “The security agencies meanwhile continue to work closely with their foreign counterparts to share intelligence on terrorism activities,” said MHA.

    Dian was a member of a cell based in Solo, Central Java. She had hidden a “rice cooker” bomb in her room, where she was arrested on Dec 10.

    The arrests of Dian and three other women mark a shift in strategy, with Indonesian militants recruiting women instead of men to mount attacks, national police chief Tito Karnavian has said.

    Maids from Indonesia said they were worried about being typecast after the news.

    “It affects us too because people will think other Indonesians will end up the same way,” said Ms Sri Hartatik, 35, who has worked here for 11 years. “It is common for Muslims, including domestic workers here, to read about religion on social media,” she said. But not everyone does so, she added, and neither does she.

    Mr Gary Chin, chief executive of maid agency Nation Employment, said that employers should watch out for sudden changes in their helpers’ behaviour, show them concern and take an interest in who their friends are.

    “If they sense anything amiss, they should inform the agency as well, so that we can arrange for counsellors or family members to speak to the domestic helper.”

    Dr Rohan Gunaratna, head of the International Centre for Political Violence and Terrorism Research, noted that militant group Islamic State in Iraq and Syria is investing heavily in recruiting in cyber space.

    While Singapore has secured its physical space, it “now needs to better protect its citizens and residents, including the labour population, from cyber radicalisation”.

     

    Source: www.straitstimes.com

  • Heng Swee Keat Coy On Succession

    Heng Swee Keat Coy On Succession

    His name has often surfaced as a front runner to take over when Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong steps down. So when Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat had a stroke, it inevitably stoked discussion about his role in the future leadership team.

    During an interview last Tuesday, Mr Heng declined to discuss who would lead Singapore next.

    “That is a hypothetical question. I will not go into that,” he said when asked if he would accept the position if picked.

    He, however, suggested that steering Singapore is about teamwork.

    “A lot of it is really to make sure that we all pitch in and we all support one another, not just the fourth-generation leaders among ourselves, but also with all fellow members of the Cabinet and with the broader institutions in Singapore,” he said.

    Succession planning took on a renewed urgency after PM Lee repeated several times his plans to retire some time after the next general election, which must be held by April 2021. Concerns were raised when Mr Heng had a stroke in May and PM Lee almost fainted when delivering this year’s National Day Rally speech in August.

    Mr Heng said the younger ministers have been getting their feet wet in the various ministries they have been rotated through, part of the preparation to take over. “I think they have all done well.”

    Mr Heng himself held the education portfolio before his current appointment, and was also put in charge of key assignments such as the 2013 feedback exercise Our Singapore Conversation, the SG50 celebrations last year, and the Committee on the Future Economy, tasked to come up with strategies to prepare the workforce and economy for upcoming challenges.

    “It’s not just about your individual work, but it is how we connect with Singaporeans and how we do the right things to make sure we have the right policies that will enable us to navigate to a better future,” he said.

    In the ruling People’s Action Party, each generation decides among itself who will lead its team. Both prime ministers after the late Mr Lee Kuan Yew – Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong and PM Lee – had taken on the premiership with the support of their peers.

    PM Lee said as much when he pointed out that the fourth prime minister will be chosen the same way. Just three years after taking over, he had said he would not anoint his successor.

    Besides Mr Heng, others identified as core members of the next team include Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office and labour chief Chan Chun Sing, Minister for Education (Schools) Ng Chee Meng, Minister for Education (Higher Education and Skills) Ong Ye Kung, Minister for Social and Family Development Tan Chuan-Jin and Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong.

    Asked if the team had started discussing who should be PM, Mr Heng was tight-lipped. Breaking into a slight smile, he said firmly: “I shall not veer into this.” But ultimately, he said, what matters is the trust and confidence Singaporeans have in the team that will lead the country. “If we are united and cohesive and have a sense of direction, we can get there.”

     

    Source: www.straitstimes.com

     

  • Son of Osama Bin Laden Banned From Entering Egypt

    Son of Osama Bin Laden Banned From Entering Egypt

    CAIRO – Osama bin Laden’s son Omar was refused entry to Egypt on Saturday, airport sources said, giving no reason why his name was on a list of people banned from the country.

    Omar, 34, Osama bin Laden’s fourth-eldest son, was traveling with his British wife Zaina al Sabah from Doha, and they asked to be sent to Turkey, the sources said.

    The couple, who lived in Egypt for several months in 2007 and 2008, were previously denied entry to the country in 2008.

    Omar bin Laden broke with his father in 2001 after living in Afghanistan for much of 1996 to 2001.

    In an interview with Reuters in 2010, Omar said he was working with Saudi Arabia and Iran to end his separation from a group of brothers and sisters that dates back to the chaos in Afghanistan following the al Qaeda attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

    Omar said bin Laden’s children were trying to be “good citizens of the world” but suffered from the lack of a father and the stigma of being the al Qaeda leader’s children. None were part of al Qaeda, he said at the time.

    “We are working with the Iranian government and with the Saudi government at the moment to have my mother’s children and grandchildren join us,” he said.

    Osama bin Laden was killed at his Pakistani hideout by U.S. commandos in 2011 in a major blow to the militant group which carried out the Sept. 11 attacks.

     

    Source: www.todayonline.com

  • Protesters Condemn International Inaction In Aleppo

    Protesters Condemn International Inaction In Aleppo

    BERLIN (AFP) – Protesters rallied in Berlin on Saturday (Dec 17) against the war in Syria denouncing the international community for failing to help civilians, especially children, in the besieged city of Aleppo.

    Holding banners saying “The children of Aleppo are calling you!”, or “Aleppo is bleeding and the world is watching”, around 900 people braved plunging temperatures to gather in front to the Reichstag, the German parliament building, according to police estimates.

    At the same time, another 1,800 people joined a second demonstration elsewhere in the German capital, police said.

    “What is happening there amounts to what is the worst in the world,” said Mahmoud Almizeh, a 19-year-old Syrian refugee who comes from Raqa, now the bastion of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria militant group.

    Germany has opened its doors to some 600,000 Syrian refugees since the conflict began in 2011.

    Having arrived in Germany a year ago, Almizeh lamented that European leaders were “unfortunately doing nothing”.

    In Aleppo on Saturday, trapped Syrian civilians and rebels waited desperately for evacuations to resume from an opposition-held enclave of the city which has fallen to the brutal onslaught by Syrian government forces.

    Aleppo has been ravaged by some of the worst violence of the nearly six-year war that has killed more than 310,000 people.

    “We feel so powerless” about the tragedy facing the Syrians, said Anna Bone, a Berlin resident at the demonstration where another banner declared: “Stop murdering! Peace talks NOW.”

    “This powerlessness… this grief, it’s what brought me here today,” she added.

    Hundreds of protestors also joined demonstrations in France on Saturday in the cities of Paris, Lille, Strasbourg and Marseille.

    “It’s crazy that the world powers cannot intervene,” commented two protesters of Turkish origin, Hilal, 25, and Gulsan, 26, in Paris.

    Thousands of trapped civilians and the last remaining opposition fighters in Aleppo were waiting for evacuations to resume on Saturday, a day after the operation was suspended by the Syrian government.

    Meanwhile, in New York, the UN Security Council could vote as early as this weekend on a French-drafted proposal to allow international observers into Aleppo and ensure urgent aid deliveries.

     

    Source: www.straitstimes.com

deneme bonusu