Blog

  • Young Lions Get Serious For SEA Games

    Young Lions Get Serious For SEA Games

    There is a major effort underway as Singapore targets glory at next year’s South-east Asia (SEA) Games football competition.

    Speaking to The New Paper yesterday, national youth teams head coach Richard Tardy outlined his plans for the Young Lions.

    For starters, the Garena Young Lions, to be coached by former Singapore international V Selvaraj, will kick off the upcoming S.League season with 30 players all born in the year 1995 or later as the SEA Games football competition next August will be an under-22 tournament.

    The team’s senior players like Khairul Amri, Firdaus Kasman, Christopher van Huizen and Fareez Farhan will all be free to sign for other clubs.

    “Last year we took Amri and Firdaus to help add some experience to the team, and we didn’t know at the start of last season whether the SEA Games will be an under-22 or under-23 competition,” said Tardy, who will be in charge of the team at the SEA Games.

    “It would have been difficult to start with an entirely young team. Still, we had a team with an average age of 21.5 years, which is the youngest in the club’s history.

    “It gave the opportunity for under-18 players like Rusyaidi Salime, Joshua Pereira and Hami Syahin to progress.

    “But now that we are so near to the SEA Games, it makes no sense to take overaged players.

    “Honestly, it will be very difficult to compete in the S.League, we know. Those with one-year experience can help us.

    “We must think about the future of Singapore football and the future is coming from the youth.

    “I’m sure that in two or three years, we will find some senior national players from this team.”

    The 66-year-old Frenchman urged support from all stakeholders as he revealed the comprehensive training schedule in store for the Young Lions, who will sit out of local cup competitions.

    He said: “Our season this year ended on Oct 15 but we trained until Nov 30 because I didn’t want them to go a long time without training.

    “They now have a three-week break before they come back in the last week of December to get ready for the new season.

    “Next month, we will have a training camp in Phuket with good facilities and a good field to get back to a good level physically before the season starts.

    “In March, we will play in a Dubai tournament against strong teams from Saudi Arabia, Jordan, China and Thailand.

    “I don’t want easy games even though I know they are good for the spirit.

    “Our best preparation will come in July when we play a minimum of three games in the AFC Under-23 Championship qualifiers against one or two strong teams as we are in the third pot.

    “Only by doing well against strong opponents can we say we have improved.”

    Ever since the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) appointed him in July 2015, Tardy has been candid in his assessment of youth footballers, pointing out their technical and physical weakness.

    In September, he told TNP that if the SEA Games were held then, the Young Lions would not even qualify for the semi-finals.

    However, Tardy has seen progress, even though he admits the boys are still behind the likes of Thailand and Vietnam in terms of technique.

    He said: “The distance between dreams and reality is action. We can dream of doing well but as a coach, I must be a realist and say we have to work very hard to do well at the SEA Games.

    “We drew with Vietnam in the Nations Cup and lost 1-0 to China and Iran. This means we are not far off.

    “Technically, I don’t think our level is enough, and we have problems heading, shooting and crossing, which we will work on specifically for 60 to 80 minutes every week.

    “But the base is physical and we have no big problems there in terms of injuries and cramps like we had before. Tactically, we must improve more such that individuals can adapt to whatever system we have to play during a game.

    “It is not my job to set a medal target but even as we train to develop national players for the future, we will also start to focus more on results next year.

    “I want the players to show me the fight in them, that they feel responsible for the SEA Games when they wear the national team jersey and their will to fight even the idea of losing.”


    Oct 15, 2016 – Last S.League match, a 3-1 defeat by Tampines Rovers

    Nov 30, 2016 – Garena Young Lions continue to train until the end of last month

    December 2016 – Players take a three-week break from football and resume training from last week of the year

    January 2017 – Two-week training camp in Phuket, Thailand. Double sessions in the morning and afternoon and two friendly matches to get into shape before S.League starts

    March 2017 – Friendly tournament in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, against the hosts, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, China and Thailand

    May 2017 – Two friendly matches

    June 2017 – Two friendly matches in Qatar

    July 2017 – AFC Under-23 Championship qualifiers; minimum three games

    August 2017 – SEA Games

     

    Source: The New Paper

  • KFC Creates Limited-Edition Candle That Gives Off Fried Chicken Scent

    KFC Creates Limited-Edition Candle That Gives Off Fried Chicken Scent

    Fried chicken specialist KFC has come up with a way to get your whole house smelling of its signature product – minus the cooking involved.

    Enter the KFC-scented candle, which was launched as part of a social media contest by KFC New Zealand last week.

    Unfortunately, only one such candle is available, with customers asked to suggest a new piece of merchandise that the company should come up with in order to win it.

    “What better way to light up your nights than with a limited-edition KFC Scented Candle!” KFC New Zealand revealed on Facebook last Friday (Dec 2).

    The winning entry – announced on Monday – was from user Shiz Irani, who said KFC should release stamps “because the Colonel always delivers”.

    This is not the first time KFC has come up with a fried chicken-scented product.

    In August, it gave away 3,000 tubes of KFC-scented sunscreen in the US as part of a promotion for its extra-crispy recipe.

    They were snapped up within two hours, USA TODAY reported.

     

    Source: The Straits Times

  • Myanmar Haramkan Pekerjanya Dari Ke Malaysia Sedang Krisis Rohingya Meruncing

    Myanmar Haramkan Pekerjanya Dari Ke Malaysia Sedang Krisis Rohingya Meruncing

    Myanmar sudah mengharamkan para pekerjanya daripada ke negara jiran, Malaysia, setelah hubungan antara kedua-dua negara itu menjadi buruk ekoran isu pembunuhan Muslim di Rohingya.

    Langkah itu diambil selepas Perdana Menteri Malaysia Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak mengeluarkan kata-kata keras terhadap pemimpin Myanmar, Aung San Suu Kyi kerana “membenarkan pembunuhan kaum” berlaku di wilayah Rakhine, dalam ucapannya di satu rapat Ahad lalu di Kuala Lumpur yang dihadiri ribuan orang.

    Perhimpunan itu bagi membantah tindakan ketenteraan terhadap wilayah Rakhine di Myanmar yang memaksa lebih 20,000 Muslim Rohingya melarikan diri ke Bangladesh.

    Mereka yang terselamat memberitahu AFP bahawa orang-orang Rohingya dirogol beramai-ramai, diseksa dan dibunuh oleh pasukan-pasukan keselamatan Myanmar, sementara puluhan orang mati ketika cuba menyeberangi sungai yang memisahkan Myanmar dengan Bangladesh.

    Myanmar, yang kebanyakan penduduknya beragama Buddha, sudah lama mendiskriminasi terhadap orang-orang Rohingya yang tidak mempunyai kerakyatan, dan krisis baru-baru ini mencetuskan tunjuk-tunjuk perasaan di negara-negara Islam di serata rantau ini, termasuk di Malaysia.

    “Kami mahu memberitahu Aung San Suu Kyi, cukup setakat ini…Kami mesti dan akan mempertahankan orang Islam dan Islam. Dunia tidak boleh berdiam diri dan menyaksikan pembunuhan kaum berlaku,” kata PM Najib dalam ucapan berapi-apinya kepada 5,000 peserta rapat pada Ahad lalu itu.

    Seorang menteri Malaysia juga menyeru agar keanggotaan Myanmar dalam blok ASEAN disemak.

    Para pegawai Myanmar menafikan dakwaan pencabulan kuasa dan Cik Suu Kyi memberitahu masyarakat antarabangsa supaya jangan mengapi-apikan keadaan.

    HENTI KELUARKAN LESEN BARU BAGI WARGA BEKERJA DI M’SIA

    Lewat semalam (6 Dis), kementerian imigresen Myanmar menyatakan ia sudah berhenti mengeluarkan lesen-lesen baru bagi para warganya untuk bekerja di Malaysia – yang selama bertahun-tahun merupakan destinasi popular bagi para pekerja asing.

    “Myanmar sudah buat sementara berhenti menghantar pekerja ke Malaysia mulai 6/12/2016 disebabkan situasi sekarang ini di Malaysia,” menurutnya dalam satu kenyataan, tanpa mengulas lanjut.

    Malaysia kini mengambil puluhan ribu pekerja Myanmar, yang kebanyakannya mengambil pekerjaan bergaji rendah di kilang-kilang atau di industri makanan dan pelayanan.

    Menurut Malaysia, sekitar 56,000 orang Rohingya sudah tiba di negara itu sejak beberapa tahun kebelakangan ini, dan ramai sanggup melakukan perjalanan bot yang penuh bahaya untuk melarikan diri dari kemiskinan dan diskriminasi di wilayah Rakhine.

    Namun semalam, mantan ketua Pertubuhan Bangsa-Bangsa Bersatu (PBB) Kofi Annan, yang mengetuai suruhanjaya tentang Rakhine, memberitahu para wartawan bahawa beliau berpendapat krisis itu tidak akan memecahbelahkan rantau ini.

    “Saya rasa ini boleh dikawal. Ada kemungkinan apa yang sedang berlaku ini boleh dibendung,” katanya dalam satu sidang media di Yangon pada akhir lawatan selama seminggu.

    Source: Berita MediaCorp

  • Pesakit Mental Sembuh Dengar Lagu Anuar Zain

    Pesakit Mental Sembuh Dengar Lagu Anuar Zain

    Penyanyi Anuar Zain mempercayai sesebuah lagu mampu menjadi terapi jiwa seandainya karya yang diketengahkan itu mempunyai kualiti dan nilai sentimentalnya sendiri.

    mStar Online melaporkan Anuar atau nama sebenarnya Shahrul Anuar Zain, 46 tahun, berkata kakaknya iaitu Ziana Zain pernah menceritakan seorang suami yang merupakan pesakit mental sembuh penyakit itu setelah mendengar lagu-lagunya yang berjaya memberi inspirasi buat dia.

    “Tak tergambar perasaan saya apabila mendengar kisah itu di mana si isteri menyatakan suaminya yang pernah ditahan di wad pesakit mental beransur-ansur pulih setelah mendengar lagu-lagu dari sebuah album lama saya ketika berada di wad.

    “Cerita itu benar-benar memberi inspirasi kepada saya sekali gus mengubah persepsi saya selama ini bahawa fungsi sesebuah lagu itu tidaklah sekadar satu hiburan untuk peminat malah terapi jiwa bergantung pada situasi dan keadaan,” katanya kepada mStar Online.

    Anuar ditemui di majlis sidang media mengenai persembahannya iaitu Yonder Music Life Series By The Lake: Anuar & You di Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur, pada Isnin (5 Dis).

    Source: Berita MediaCorp

  • Agency Closure Hits Japan Tour Group

    Agency Closure Hits Japan Tour Group

    The 68-year-old cleaner had saved up for months and was ready to leave for her week-long Hokkaido tour on Monday night.

    The plan was to go to the airport to meet the travel agent who had the air tickets for her group. But hours before the flight, Madam Teo Ino Meo allegedly received a text message from Sky Travel & Tours that it had shuttered and would stop all services immediately.

    A visit by The Straits Times at 3.30pm to the company’s office in the basement of People’s Park Centre found the glass doors locked and the lights off.

    A note on the door said business would resume on Thursday. It gave an emergency contact number, but calls went unanswered.

    To Madam Teo’s knowledge, there were 28 people in her tour group who had made travel arrangements with Sky Travel & Tours. She said she has not been able to get any explanation from the company so far.

    Said Madam Teo in Mandarin: “I was so angry. My bags were all packed and I was ready to leave that night.”

    The Consumers Association of Singapore (Case) said it had received seven complaints against Sky Travel & Tours since Monday.

    Madam Teo, a widow, had booked the tour with a friend in August during a travel fair and had paid $500 as a deposit. About two weeks ago, they went to the agency to pay the balance of $1,900, and were given their itineraries.

    “They said that everything had been confirmed,” she added.

    Her friend, Madam Beh Choon Ann, 80, said besides the money paid to the company, she had spent close to $300 on winter wear.

    “It would have been our first time seeing snow,” she said.

    The two women have filed claims with the Small Claims Tribunals and have made police reports. They claimed they met others who had done the same.

    Case executive director Seah Seng Choon advised affected customers to try to contact the agency regarding the status of their tour packages, and those who had bought travel insurance, to contact their providers.

    Speaking in general, he also said travel agents should protect customers’ interests by purchasing insurance for prepayments.

    “We advise consumers to engage CaseTrust-Natas accredited travel agencies as they are committed to fair trading and transparency towards consumers,” he said.

     

    Source: The Straits Times

deneme bonusu