Blog

  • Singapore Businesses Quizzed By Chinese Counterparts Over Their Stand On South China Sea Issue

    Singapore Businesses Quizzed By Chinese Counterparts Over Their Stand On South China Sea Issue

    Following the back-and-forth between Singapore and Chinese state-owned newspaper Global Times over the South China Sea issue, some Singapore businessmen with interests in China are being questioned by their Chinese counterparts, on where they stand on the matter.

    Singapore companies TODAY spoke to are concerned that this, along with the increasingly shrill comments by Chinese netizens in response to the newspaper’s provocative articles, would eventually affect their businesses.

    Restaurant chain Tung Lok Group has operations in Beijing and Shanghai. Its executive chairman Andrew Tjioe noted the nationalistic fervour in a country “where everything seems to be about politics”. “I’m hoping, though, that consumers in China are mature enough to know how to separate politics and business,” he said.

    Agreeing, Mr Ho Meng Kit, chief executive officer of Singapore Business Federation, added: “If this drags on, and there’s widespread anger or hostility towards Singapore products, we’ll be concerned. The Chinese are very nationalistic. I think it’s important that Singapore’s side of the story gets heard in China as the Global Times is not balanced. We hope that the Chinese citizens get a balanced view of the situation.”

    Last Tuesday (Oct 4), Members of Parliament (MPs) were briefed on the situation by the Cabinet. MPs told TODAY that concerns of businesses were reflected at the briefing and clarifications were also sought on the actual situation, beyond the rhetoric in the Chinese press.

    On Saturday, the topic was also raised at an annual gathering between MPs and grassroots leaders, with Chinese clan associations in attendance.

    Mr Koh Chin Yee, chief executive officer of Singapore-based think-tank Longus Research Institute, which does work on China and Asia geopolitics, had previously worked in China for nine years and has ties with the Singapore business community there.

    He said: “Such talk among netizens has translated to real life debate… and has caused disturbances to businessmen operating in China. Singapore businessmen in China have told me that they get questioned about their stand on the South China Sea issue, by their counterparts in China.”

    Over the past weeks, Global Times had published a series of reports critical of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s official visit to Japan last month, which sparked criticisms of Singapore among Chinese netizens. On Chinese social media network Weibo as well as on the newspaper’s websites, scores of netizens lashed out at Singapore — for example, accusing the Republic of siding with the United States and Japan over the South China Sea issue. Some also remarked that Singapore should know its place as a small country while others said they would stay away from Singapore and other countries in Southeast Asia which “oppose China”.

    The Global Times reports came on the back of a public exchange of words between the tabloid and Singapore’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The newspaper claimed that the Republic had tried to push for a stronger statement on the international tribunal’s ruling on the South China Sea at the NAM summit last week in Venezuela.

    This sparked a pushback from Singapore’s ambassador to China Stanley Loh, who said the claim was fabricated, false and unfounded. But the Global Times maintained its sources were credible, and said Mr Loh should urge Singapore to “conduct self-reflection” instead. In response, Mr Loh stated that the crux of the matter is that Global Times’ Sept 21 report did not accurately reflect the proceedings at the recent NAM Summit, which can be verified by the public record of the meeting.

    While Singapore companies said they have not been affected adversely, at least one foreign company has claimed that earnings have taken a hit due to the South China Sea territorial disputes on business.

    Last week, Yum Brands — which owns KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell — attributed the company’s weak financial results in China to the spat and a United Nations tribunal ruling in July that China’s claims violate international law. Yum CEO Greg Creed said: “Anticipated tougher laps in the second half of the third quarter were compounded by an international court ruling on claims regarding the South China Sea, which triggered a series of regional protests and negative sentiment against a few international companies with well-known Western brands.”

    Referring to Yum’s predicament, Tanjong Pagar GRC Member of Parliament Joan Pereira, who sits on the Government Parliamentary Committee for defence and foreign affairs, pointed out that the “risk to trade and business is real”.

    “This makes it important for the Government to clarify the misreporting in the Global Times, which is exactly what our Ambassador has been doing,” she said. She reiterated that in the South China Sea disputes, as well all international issues, Singapore’s national interest “lies not in taking sides but in supporting a rule-based world order”.

     

    Source: TODAY Online

  • 16 Lelaki, Termasuk Pelajar Universiti Ditahan Di Malaysia Kerana Terlibat Dengan Kumpulan Pengganas

    16 Lelaki, Termasuk Pelajar Universiti Ditahan Di Malaysia Kerana Terlibat Dengan Kumpulan Pengganas

    Seorang pelajar universiti awam dan seorang warga asing adalah antara 16 lelaki ditahan kerana dipercayai terlibat dengan kegiatan kumpulan pengganas.

    Ketua Polis Negara Malaysia Khalid Abu Bakar berkata kesemua mereka yang berusia antara 20 dan 38 tahun ditahan Bahagian Anti-Pengganasan Cawangan Khas Bukit Aman di sekitar Selangor, Kelantan, Perak, Kedah, Pulau Pinang dan Sabah antara 21 September hingga 6 Oktober lalu.

    “Mereka yang ditahan terdiri daripada (lima) peniaga; (empat) juruteknik; (dua) penganggur; seorang guru kaunseling di sekolah kerajaan; seorang kakitangan bank; seorang pengurus eksekutif; seorang pencari barangan antik dan
    seorang pelajar,” katanya dalam kenyataan hari ini (9 Okt).

    PELAJAR UNIVERSITI RANCANG SUSUP MASUK KE SYRIA

    Encik Khalid berkata seorang pelajar berusia 20 tahun yang menuntut di sebuah universiti di Johor, ditahan ketika pulang ke tanah air di Lapangan Terbang Antarabangsa Kuala Lumpur (KLIA) Sepang, pada 22 September lalu.

    Menurutnya suspek berlepas ke Istanbul, Turki pada 7 September lalu dan ditahan pihak berkuasa Turki pada keesokan harinya kerana merancang untuk menyusup masuk ke Syria bagi menyertai kumpulan pengganas di negara itu.

    “Tangkapan yang dibuat pihak berkuasa Turki itu adalah hasil maklumat Cawangan Khas Bukit Aman,” katanya.

    BAI’AH DENGAN MUHAMMAD WANNDY MOHAMED JEDY

    Menurut Encik Khalid, seramai 14 lagi suspek warga tempatan yang ditangkap disyaki
    merupakan anggota pengganas ISIS daripada kumpulan yang diketuai Muhammad Wanndy Mohamed Jedy.

    Kesemua mereka disyaki berbai’ah secara online kepada Muhammad Wanndy dan menyalurkan dana kepadanya, katanya.

    Beliau juga menambah, dalam operasi itu polis turut menahan seorang lelaki warga asing berumur 32 tahun yang dipercayai berasal dari Utara Afrika kerana disyaki menganggotai Kumpulan Jabhat Al Nusra di Syria.

    “Lelaki itu ditangkap di Selangor pada 25 September lalu. Hasil siasatan juga mendapati suspek beberapa kali menyusup masuk ke Malaysia sejak Mei lalu. Semasa di Malaysia, suspek disyaki terlibat dalam sindiket pemalsuan dokumen perjalanan bagi kegunaan Kumpulan Jabhat Al Nusra,” katanya.

    Source: Berita MediaCorp

  • Perikatan Tentera Pimpinan Arab Saudi Akan Siasat Serangan Udara Ke Atas Upacara Pengebumian

    Perikatan Tentera Pimpinan Arab Saudi Akan Siasat Serangan Udara Ke Atas Upacara Pengebumian

    Perikatan tentera pimpinan Arab Saudi untuk menumpaskan pihak pemberontak Houthi di Yaman akan melakukan siasatan berhubung serangan udara ke atas satu upacara pengebumian, semalam (8 Okt).

    Serangan berlaku ketika ratusan orang menghadiri upacara pengebumian ayah menteri ehwal dalam negeri dari pihak pemberontak di sebuah dewan di ibu kota Sanaa.

    Lebih 140 orang terbunuh manakala 525 lagi cedera.

    Kumpulan pemberontak Houthi menuduh pakatan tentera Arab itu melakukan serangan tersebut.

    Pada mulanya pakatan tentera itu menafikan terbabit dalam kejadian tersebut.

    Namun, ia kemudian menyatakan akan segera bekerjasama dengan pakar-pakar Amerika Syarikat untuk melakukan siasatan.

    Ini selepas Washington mengumumkan ia akan segera mengkaji semula sokongannya kepada pakatan tersebut berikutan serangan berdarah itu.

    Serangan tersebut antara yang terburuk sejak pasukan pakatan tentera Arab memperhebatkan serangan udara Mac lalu di Yaman.

    Kumpulan pemberontak Houthi yang disokong Iran, menawan Sanaa pada September 2014, menyebabkan pemerintahan Presiden Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi terpaksa meninggalkan ibu kota itu.

    Lebih 6,500 terbunuh sejak campur tangan pasukan tentera Arab untuk menumpaskan pemberontak Houthi.

    Source: Berita MediaCorp

  • A Chinese-Muslim Convert’s Experience With Ignorance In Singapore

    A Chinese-Muslim Convert’s Experience With Ignorance In Singapore

    I need to get this off my chest.

    I was seeing a new doctor yesterday (4th time this month, don’t ask) and she expressed surprise that my name sounded ‘Chinese’ when I’m wearing a hijab (and therefore look like a Muslim aka. Malay in Singapore). So I said I’m Chinese Muslim, yes, my family is Chinese, yes, I’m the only Muslim in my family, yes, I’m a convert to Islam, yes.

    Then she asked me why I converted. Usual question.
    Me: “I researched.” (Shortest answer, I’ve figured, that prevents unnecessary questions and only engages those who really want to know more, because, what bores people more than research?! hahaa)

    And then she says this.
    “Huh. You researched? Don’t research until become ISIS ah!”

    WELL.
    I’m not offended, no don’t get me wrong. I’ve had this said to me a few times before. But today I feel so strongly about it and am just appalled to know that it has come to the stage whereby learning and gaining knowledge in Islam can be viewed as a route to becoming ‘brainwashed to terrorism’.

    Ever since my reversion close to 3 years ago (I turn 3 in 10 days time, yay!), I’ve met countless Muslims and Muslim converts in Singapore week after week, class after class. Muslims who are so knowledgeable in their field of work, AND in Islamic knowledge. Scientists, mathematicians, historians- and what they all have in common is the knowledge in Islam which sets the strongest foundation in whatever they do. And I’m learning from an ustaz who has no professional certification to his name, yet embodies the humility and disposition of people who have spent years of their lives gaining more and more knowledge. Such people are overflowing with wisdom, but they don’t ever stop learning. As my ustaz would say, “The more you know, the more you realise you don’t know.”

    To all my friends out there, you’ve got nothing to be afraid of, because the epitome of a Muslim lies in gaining knowledge. And the more knowledge we gain, the less we ‘become ISIS’ (I cringe even writing this sentence). What they do/ claim to do in the name of Islam, they are no more than a bunch of terrorists. Got that? Just Terrorists. No “Islamic extremists” or “fundamentalists” or “Islamists”- just terms that the media has coined to make you believe that we Muslims have got anything to do with that bunch- when in fact we are as much related to them as you are.

    Now let me go back to my jihad of trying to be as patient as I can and not have a sarcastic comeback everytime someone tries to link me to ISIS. Ugh.


    The Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ- peace be upon him) said: “A servant of God will remain standing on the Day of Judgment until he is questioned about his time on earth and how he used it; about his knowledge and how he utilized it; about his wealth and from where he acquired it and in what activities he spent it; and about his body and how he used it.” (Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 148)

     

    Source: Maryem Chin

  • Goodbye And Thank You Toko Wijaya

    Goodbye And Thank You Toko Wijaya

    A store that has put food on our family’s plate and memories made throughout my childhood and present. Tiring and long hours by my father whom we as a family are very grateful to. Memories will forever be in our mind and heart.

    A glimpse of the remaining books that is left to fall into buyers’ hands. Feel free to look around in the shop itself. All books have to go. Books are going at 30%-70% off. Remaining books will be donated to charity. Sale is ongoing until end of October (subject to minor changes).

    Blk 1 Joo Chiat Complex
    #02-1035
    Next to Ming Seng Goldsmith
    Opens daily between 11am and 8pm
    Closed on Fridays

    Share the post.
    Share the love.
    Share the knowledge.

    Thank you for your support all these years.

    Jazakallah khair.

     

    Source: Hasbi Mustapa

deneme bonusu