Blog

  • Why Sack Driver When SMRT’s Statements Did Not Show Driver Was At Fault For Fatal Accident?

    Why Sack Driver When SMRT’s Statements Did Not Show Driver Was At Fault For Fatal Accident?

    I agree totally with Andrew Loh that the sacking of the driver involved in the fatal accident smacks of “scapegoating”.

    No need to look too far until the lembu balik rumah?

    Take a look at the statements by SMRT, Where did it say the driver was at fault? So why sack the driver?

    smrt-media-release-1

    smrt-media-release-2

     

    Mati

    Reader Contribution

  • Victim’s Family Questions Sacking Of MRT Driver

    Victim’s Family Questions Sacking Of MRT Driver

    The families of the victims in the fatal SMRT accident in March have questioned the operator’s sacking of the train driver involved in the tragedy, before investigations by the relevant authorities are complete and the Coroner’s Inquiry is held.

    Expressing their sympathies for the sacked driver, they reiterated the need for the full picture to emerge. Amid concerns that the sacking could prejudice the ongoing probes, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) said in response to TODAY’s queries that the sacking was “an internal decision by SMRT”.

    “Investigations by MOM and LTA are ongoing and will be based on the facts of the case,” they added.

    On Wednesday (Sept 14), The Straits Times reported that Mr Rahmat Mohd, 49, was dismissed on Tuesday after an internal disciplinary inquiry. Citing sources, it added that an operations control centre staff member had also left the company earlier on account of the incident, which occurred on March 22.

    Muhammad Asyraf Ahmad Buhari, 24, and Nasrulhudin Najumudin, 26, were killed by an oncoming train while on their way, as part of a team of 15, to check on a warning signal from a monitoring device.

    Speaking to TODAY, Nasrulhudin’s eldest brother Nasrifudin, 33, said his family was shocked to hear about the sacking of Mr Rahmat. “He could be the breadwinner of the family so we are also sad for him,” said the civil servant.

    Asyraf’s cousin, who wished to be known only as Mr Khai, noted that all the staff involved in the accident as well as their colleagues would have been “affected emotionally and mentally”.

    While he felt that SMRT had its own reasons for dismissing the driver, it would have been better if the operator based its disciplinary actions on the Coroner’s Inquiry, which would uncover the “real sequence of events”.

    “They should wait (for the inquiry),” he said. Nevertheless, he said the family is thankful for SMRT’s support following the tragedy. “We have to accept the situation as it is … The takeaway from all this is that hopefully, none of this happens again,” he added.

    Mr Melvin Yong, the National Transport Workers’ Union (NTWU) executive secretary, said that the union had previously written to SMRT, asking it to withhold any disciplinary action until official investigations are complete, so as to not prejudice the outcome.

    “We will now review the situation, study the grounds for SMRT dismissal, and work with the affected staff on the next steps. The union will continue to render affected staff the necessary support and assistance during this difficult time, as we have since the incident,” he added.

    In April, SMRT shared the findings by an independent panel on the accident. The panel found that the team involved had stepped onto the train track before “vital” protection measures were implemented. Also, a speed limit to prevent trains from entering the track area on automated mode was not set, and watchmen were not deployed to look out for and warn of approaching trains, “directly causing” the accident.

    The report was submitted to LTA, MOM and the police to assist with their statutory investigations. A Coroner’s Inquiry will be held after official investigations conclude. LTA had earlier said that its investigations would be completed in the third quarter of this year.

    When contacted, SMRT spokesman Patrick Nathan reiterated that the company does not comment on staff disciplinary measures.

    The sacking of Mr Rahmat also drew flak online.

    Writing on Facebook, prominent blogger Andrew Loh said the firing was a case of “scapegoating”. He asked if the sacked train driver was really at fault, and even if he was, whether he should be made to bear the full responsibility. He added: “Amazing that, at the other end, despite years of failures, disruptions, delays and all sorts of incidents on our trains, affecting millions of commuters, NOT A SINGLE higher-up has ever been held accountable.”

    Referring to Mr Rahmat, Ms Emily Chong wrote on SMRT’s Facebook page: “At 49 years old, he now has to find a new job to support himself and his family — for a mistake that was not his to bear.”

     

    Source: www.todayonline.com

     

  • Former Journalist Ismail Kassim: PAP Should Nominate Strong Minority Candidate For Upcoming Presidential Elections, Not Amend Constitution To Stifle Competition

    Former Journalist Ismail Kassim: PAP Should Nominate Strong Minority Candidate For Upcoming Presidential Elections, Not Amend Constitution To Stifle Competition

    A note to PM

    Dear Prime Minister

    By now you ought to know how divisive your proposal to amend the EP system has become. I cannot think of any issue in the last three decades that has caused such a wide and deep division within the electorate.

    The tragedy is that your aim to ensure that members from minority communities too have a chance at becoming an EP is commendable, and has its merits.

    Unfortunately, the way and timing of your move have also prompted considerable misgivings over your real motive:

    Is it really to ensure minority representation or is it to prevent an independent-minded citizen from being elected EP in 2017?

    Because of suspicions and emotions aroused over motive, it has become very difficult, even for those in the middle ground, to look at the proposed changes in a calm and objective manner.

    And any rush to implement a system that is deemed unfair may have adverse repercussions on the EP itself.

    Reserving the post for a particular minority is fundamentally flawed and goes against the grain of multiracialism and meritocracy. Likewise, the obsession with higher qualifications without giving due weight to strength of character and integrity is both elitist and undemocratic.

    Will any good arise from foisting a minority candidate in a closed race open only to members from that community on the nation; in all likelihood too, it is likely to become a farce, reminiscent of a past EP election, when a businessman was forced to compete to give the semblance of a democratic race.

    Such an EP is unlikely to command wide respect, and in all probability will be regarded as a ‘kayu’ (wood) by significant sections of the people, including members from his own community.

    There is still time for you to salvage the situation; just make sure that whatever changes that will be adopted will not come into effect in the 2017 presidential election.

    In this way, your protestations that they are not aimed against any individual will instantly become more credible.

    The minority community that has not yet produced an EP for the last 47 years will not mind waiting a little longer.

    As far as I know, they have grumbled over a lot of things such as continuing discrimination in the military and national service for their males and the unfair banning of their tudung-clad females from becoming nurses and policewomen.

    But over the EP, there is none.

    The PAP, notwithstanding its faults, is a great party with a sterling record.

    If you feel strongly, you should nominate a minority for the coming EP and use all the powers at your disposal to get him elected.

    If you think it is too risky, you can always field a stronger candidate. There is someone with impeccable credentials from your ranks who cannot become PM because of his ethnic origins. I think he will be unbeatable in any contest.

    These are the heroic options, which a party with a solid reputation to protect, should choose.

    Do not stoop so low now as to amend the Constitution out of fear, just to exclude opponents and independent-minded citizens.

    So Mr Prime Minister, I hope you will reconsider all your options, and choose one that will unite the people, and not divide them further.

    Ismail Kassim
    14th November 2016

     

    Source: Ismail Kassim

  • 122 Jemaah Haji Indonesia Meninggal Dunia Di Saudi Tahun Ini

    122 Jemaah Haji Indonesia Meninggal Dunia Di Saudi Tahun Ini

    INDONESIA: Keseluruhannya 122 jemaah haji Indonesia sudah meninggal dunia di Arab Saudi tahun ini sehingga semalam (14 Sep), iaitu tiga hari selepas wukuf di Arafah.

    Seramai 11 jemaah haji Indonesia meninggal dunia dalam tiga hari terakhir ibadah haji tahun ini. Pada hari pertama mabit, tujuh jemaah haji Indonesia meninggal dunia di Mina.

    Berdasarkan data dari Sistem Informasi Komputerisasi Haji Terpadu Kesihatan pada 7.00 pagi waktu Saudi semalam, kesemua 11 jemaah itu meninggal dunia kerana sakit dan mereka adalah dari Palembang, Padang, Aceh, Surabaya, Jakarta Bekasi dan Solo.

    Keseluruhannya, jemaah haji yang meninggal dunia berusia antara 41 hingga 86 tahun, berdasarkan senarai dari sistem itu.

    Kelmarin pula, enam jemaah haji dilaporkan meninggal dunia ketika wukuf di Arafah dan empat lagi ketika melempar jamrah dan mabit di Mina.

    Menurut jurucakap Klinik Kesihatan Haji Indonesia di Arab Saudi, Muchtarudin Mansyur, mereka meninggal dunia akibat sakit jantung dan strok haba oleh kerana cuaca yang kurang baik.

    Bagi menangani masalah ambulans yang terhad, pihaknya juga sudah menghubungi muassasah bidang kesihatan, dan ambulans tambahan segera dikerahkan.

    Pada 7 September lalu, Jakarta Post melaporkan bahawa lima hari sebelum wukuf, empat lagi jemaah haji Indonesia meninggal dunia di Makkah akibat masalah pernafasan, penyakit jantung dan masalah tekanan darah.

    Sebelum itu, 64 jemaah haji Indonesia dilaporkan meninggal dunia di Arab Saudi pada musim haji tahun ini, kebanyakannya berusia 60-an tahun.

    Pemerintah Indonesia memberi jaminan bahawa semua jemaah haji Indonesia yang meninggal dunia ketika menunaikan haji dan ketika menunggu berangkat untuk ke Tanah Suci di pelbagai tempat embarkasi di seluruh Indonesia, akan dibadalkan haji mereka.

    Source: http://berita.mediacorp.sg

  • We Wear Hijab And We Are Serious Athletes

    We Wear Hijab And We Are Serious Athletes

    These women are all athletes and yes, they all wear headscarves too.

    Their achievements are easily forgotten because people are so much more focused on what they choose to wear, even if they are breaking records on every level possible.

    hijab-athlete-1

    hijab-athlete-3

    hijab-athlete-4

    hijab-athete-6

    Let’s support these women by highlighting their sports performances and not just their religious practices.

     

    Source: MVSLIM

deneme bonusu