Blog

  • FAS Elections Set For Further Delays

    FAS Elections Set For Further Delays

    The long-awaited Football Association of Singapore (FAS) elections is set for further delay, after the association opted not to put its revised constitution to the vote at Satuday morning’s (Sept 24) Annual General Meeting (AGM) at the Jalan Besar Stadium.

    The new FAS constitution, which was approved by world football governing body Fifa last week, was initially expected to be raised at the AGM for the affiliates to vote to approve or reject the proposed changes.

    However, this failed to occur after the FAS decided on Friday night that it needed to spend more time consulting their stakeholders and members before drafting up possible revisions to the proposed constitution.

    This comes after they received overwhelming feedback from their members over the contents of the proposed constitution.

    Addressing the media following the conclusion of Satuday’s AGM, which lasted about one-and-a-half hours and was attended by 42 of the 46 affiliates, FAS vice-president Bernard Tan explained: “The decision not to put the new constitution to the vote today did not come easy. But a lot of members have requested for more time to take a comprehensive look at the proposed constitution.

    “There have also been a lot of amendments being put forward by several members. Given that this constitutional change that will lead to the elections is a significant one, we shouldn’t take it lightly and we can’t dismiss any suggestions as frivolous.

    “We have to take into account what all the members have said. This will also give us more time to explain to the members about the constitutional changes and hopefully at the end of this process, we will come out with a mutual understanding and agreement regarding the constitution.”

    FAS president Zainudin Nordin revealed association officials had expected the constitution to be resolved quickly, but admitted they underestimated the interest the issue had garnered.

    “Maybe it’s overconfidence or underestimation, but the interest could have been better measured,” said Zainudin. “But we have learnt from this episode and we will further engage our members.

    “At least we now have a baseline for everybody to discuss. We welcome all suggestions and proposals. We will go through every single one and if we can find a certain consensus, then we’ll make the amendments, send the constitution to Fifa for approval and get the next version.

    “We can then call for an Extraordinary General Meeting (EOGM) in future to pass the new constitution through.”

    The FAS however, were unable to give a timeframe for how long the whole process would take.

    In the interim, the current FAS executive committee (Exco), whose term is due to expire at the end of the month, will request for an extension of their appointment by the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth (MCCY) to continue running the association until the constitution is passed and the elections are called.

    Tan assured that this would not see the FAS run afoul of Fifa’s statute 13.1(i), which does not allow interference from “third parties” such as governments.

    “For this period of time, the old constitution will continue,” said Tan. “That means the exco that’s been in charge will remain in charge and will discharge their duties with Singapore football’s best interests at heart.”

    Added Zainudin: The process now is for us to get an extension of appointment so that work can continue to be done. For whatever reason that an extension cannot be obtained, then Fifa will take over.”

    Following the AGM, Fifa’s representative at the meeting, Luca Nicola, met with the FAS affiliates and stakeholders for close to two hours to discuss the proposed constitutional changes.

    Nicola, the manager of member associations at Fifa, said he was encouraged by the discussion and believes it is possible for the new constitution to be passed by the end of the year.

    “There’s been really good progress with what’s been done so far, and the skeleton of the constitution is in place,” said Nicola, who was involved in the process since it began in November last year.

    “It’s more or less there, but the FAS will now have more discussions to see what other changes can be made, but the overall consensus is that nothing too drastic needs to be done, so I think it is possible to get it passed by the end of the year.

    “It can take up to four years for a constitution to be changed, so to do it within a year would be very good.”

    Nicola added that the eligibility criteria for the FAS presidential candidate is not “set in stone” and that it is defined by the individual member association.

    This was one of the contentious points that several members had brought up about the proposed constitution, which stated that those intending to run for the role of president had to serve as an active member of association football for two of the past five years.

    R Vengadasalam, who has announced he will assemble a team for the FAS elections and had submitted a set of proposed amendments to the constitution earlier this week, said it was encouraging that the FAS had decided to sit down and take on board the opinions of the members.

    “I think we’re almost there, but there still needs to be some discussions about several points of the constitution,” said Venga, the former manager of Woodlands Wellington. “The FAS is willing to look at our amendments and the Fifa representative has also asked us to consider several things before sitting down to discuss with (FAS vice-president) Lim Kia Tong.

    “There’s been no timeframe given, but we expect to have a couple of dialogues more before a new draft constitution is ready to be sent to Fifa.”

    Ben Teng, the chairman of S.League outfit Geylang international, added: “It’s good that there’s a postponement of the voting because it allows more time to review the constitution and to let FAS gather more feedback from the members.

    “It was good to have Fifa (representative) explain things to us, which provided a lot more clarity. As an S.League club, we do not expect this delay to affect us too much and we will continue to function as per normal.”

     

    Source: TODAY Online

  • Concrete Structure Outside Tampines HDB Unit Gives Way

    Concrete Structure Outside Tampines HDB Unit Gives Way

    A concrete structure that gave way outside a four-storey HDB block along Tampines Street 23 has been removed, after close to seven hours. No one was hurt as a result of the incident that happened on Sunday morning (Sep 25).

    The structure serves as a sun shield for a unit on the fourth storey of Block 201E. According to Member of Parliament for Tampines GRC Cheng Li Hui, an engineer and safety officer have assessed the situation.

    Tampines Town Council, which is the building owner of the HDB block, was directed by the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) to engage a professional engineer to advise on the necessary measures to remove the dislodged sun breaker, as well as to carry out a detailed investigation and recommend permanent rectification works.

    The professional engineer engaged by Tampines Town Council has inspected and assessed that the structural integrity of the main building is not affected by the incident, said BCA.

    A sun breaker on the third floor was also damaged during the fall but Ms Cheng said the structure will “unlikely” be removed on Sunday as it may not be safe to do so. “It’s still quite attached, so we will be building a proper platform and we will be looking at removing it over the next week,” she said.

    BCA also said that as an added safety precaution, the professional engineer is also required to inspect all the other HDB blocks in the area with similar architectural facade.

    Meanwhile, a statement from HDB said that the sun breaker is “non-structural in nature and will not affect the building’s structural integrity”.

    “HDB engineers have inspected the block and ascertained that the building is structurally safe. There were no injuries,” the emailed response added. “Our engineers are investigating the cause of the incident.”

    According to an eyewitness who spoke with Channel NewsAsia, the sun breaker fell at around 10am. “I heard sounds of glass shattering,” she said.

    The owner of the affected unit, Mr Choo Keat Thin, said an HDB officer has been called to check the internal structure of his flat.

    “I was watching TV, and I heard a ‘boom’ sound,” said Mr Choo. “So I came to the window to take a look and I saw the beam fell. I thought this beam will cause danger to the public downstairs, so I call 999.

    “It’s a shock to realise that such a big part of the external block … to just collapse and, luckily it did not roll over and hit the bottom or the flat below.”

    While HDB and town council officers waited for the arrival of a crane to remove the structure, HDB and town council officers used some cables and a net to hold up the sun breaker. The area was cordoned off, with police at the scene.

     

    Source: ChannelNewsAsia

  • NASA To Reveal ‘Surprising’ Activity On Jupiter’s Moon

    NASA To Reveal ‘Surprising’ Activity On Jupiter’s Moon

    There’s something going on beneath the surface of Jupiter’s icy moon Europa. But what?

    NASA teased a “surprising” announcement for Monday (Sept 26), based on Hubble Space Telescope images of the celestial body, which many experts believe could contain a subsurface ocean, even possibly some form of life.

    The US space agency has already proclaimed that Europa has “strong evidence for an ocean of liquid water beneath its crust and which could host conditions favourable for life”.

    At Monday’s announcement, “astronomers will present results from a unique Europa observing campaign that resulted in surprising evidence of activity that may be related to the presence of a subsurface ocean”, it said in a statement.

    The announcement will be made at a news conference at 2pm (local time) Monday featuring Dr Paul Hertz, NASA’s director of astrophysics, and Dr William Sparks, an astronomer with the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore.

    NASA announced last year that it intends to send a robotic spacecraft, equipped with a suite of scientific instruments, to circle Europa in the 2020s.

    In 2012, NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope “observed water vapour above the south polar region of Europa,” suggesting water plumes may be erupting from the moon, the space agency said.

    If those plumes are confirmed, and if they are found to originate from a subsurface ocean, scientists hope the spacecraft could study their chemical makeup, revealing characteristics of the water without having to drill through ice.

    Jupiter, nicknamed the king of the solar system, is surrounded by more than 50 moons.

    Last year, data from the Hubble Space Telescope confirmed that Jupiter’s largest moon, Ganymede, has an underground ocean that contains more water than Earth’s, broadening the hunt for places in the solar system where life might be able to exist.

    In the case of Ganymede, aurorae — displays of light in the atmosphere — glimpsed by the Hubble Space Telescope allowed scientists to confirm the long-suspected subsurface saltwater there.

    Because aurorae are controlled by a moon or planet’s magnetic field, observing changes in their behaviour can lead to better understanding of what exists under the surface.

    The solar system’s largest planet, Jupiter is the fifth from the Sun.

    NASA’s US$1.1 billion (S$1.5 billion) Juno spacecraft successfully slipped into orbit around the planet in July on a 20-month mission to learn more about how the gas giant formed, and to probe the origins of the solar system.

     

    Source: TODAY Online

  • Man, 25, Arrested In Connection To Unnatural Death Of 61-Year-Old In Bishan Flat

    Man, 25, Arrested In Connection To Unnatural Death Of 61-Year-Old In Bishan Flat

    A 61-year-old man was found dead in the living room of his Bishan Housing Board flat on Saturday (Sept 24).

    A 25-year-old man, believed to be his son, has been arrested in connection to the unnatural death case.

    Police said they were alerted at about 8.20pm to the unit at Block 152B Bishan Street 11.

    It is understood that at least one neighbour reported about noise on the fifth storey. It is believed that things were being thrown around.

    The older man was pronounced dead by paramedics at the scene at about 9pm. No visible injuries were seen on him.

    When The Straits Times arrived on the scene, police had cordoned off the corridor on the fifth storey.

    Some police officers were seen leaving the scene with evidence at about 12.30am on Sunday (Sept 25).

    A neighbour, who lives on the fourth story and wanted to be known as Ms Yaya, 33, said: “It’s normal to hear quarrelling upstairs in the last few days. It happens during the evening and lasts for only a few minutes.”

    About 15 relatives, including the deceased’s wife, were seen at the void deck of the block at about 1am. She later broke down, as relatives hugged her.

    The 25-year-old man is her younger son, according to a relative who declined to be named.  Investigations are ongoing.

     

    Source: The Straits Times

  • 518 Penerima Anugerah MENDAKI Tahun Ini, Jumlah Tertinggi

    518 Penerima Anugerah MENDAKI Tahun Ini, Jumlah Tertinggi

    Anugerah MENDAKI tahun ini menyaksikan jumlah penerima tertinggi iaitu seramai 518 orang.

    Pada tahun lalu, 499 orang menerima anugerah itu.

    Buat pertama kalinya, pengiktirafan juga diberikan kepada dua lulusan dari Program Penukaran Kerjaya.

    Anugerah yang disampaikan oleh Pemangku Menteri Pendidikan Ng Chee Meng petang tadi (24 Sep) itu sebagai mengiktiraf pencapaian cemerlang dalam bidang akademik.

    Memburu satu lagi diploma pada usia 24 tahun.

    Kali ini dalam jurusan kejururawatan.

    Sungguhpun sudah memiliki diploma dalam jurusan farmaseutikal, Khasminah Ismail terdorong untuk menukar kerjaya kerana terkesan apabila melihat para jururawat menguruskan arwah datuknya.

    Hasratnya tercapai apabila beliau mengikuti Program Penukaran Kerjaya.

    “Nak belajar balik itulah usia pun tidaklah semuda macam mereka yang baru lepas O level, sudah lama tidak pergi sekolah, empat tahun. Jadi saya juga susah hendak perlahan-lahan berlumba-lumba dengan sekolah semua. Bila saya ke hospital untuk bekerja sambil belajar, kebanyakan jururawat lebih muda dari saya. Mereka sudah jadi jururawat. Saya masih budak baru belajar. Jadi, terimanya dengan hati terbuka,” Cik Khasminah memberitahu BERITAMediacorp.

    Seperti Khasminah, Al Fatimah Begum Abdul Karim juga adalah antara dua lulusan dari Program Penukaran Kerjaya yang mendapat Anugerah MENDAKI buat julung-julung kalinya. Fatimah pada asalnya bekerja dalam bidang perbankan.

    10 tahun kemudian, beliau bertukar minat dan mahu mendalami bidang kejururawatan.

    “Ia membantu saya dari segi kewangan. Saya tidak perlu bekerja sambil belajar. Saya dapat fokus kepada pelajaran dan capai cita-cita,” kata Cik Al Fatimah.

    Program Penukaran Kerjaya yang ditawarkan Agensi Pembangunan Tenaga Kerja (WDA) sekaligus memberi lebih banyak pilihan bagi karyawan pertengahan kerjaya.

    Tahun ini, Anugerah MENDAKI diagihkan kepada jumlah penerima paling ramai sejak ia diperkenalkan pada 1982.

    “Kita rasa bangga bahawa ini menunjukkan bahawa bakat masyarakat kita begitu mendalam. Kalau kita berusaha, memberi dorongan. Insya’Allah kita akan dapat kejayaan. Apa yang mereka tunjukkan hari ini tidak kira mana kita mula, yang lebih penting adalah pencapaian mereka. Pencapaian mereka menunjukkan kita ada bakat, keupayaan untuk mencapai tahap yang paling tinggi, selari dengan gerakan SkillsFuture,” Dr Yaacob.

    Di acara tersebut, inisiatif ‘Let’s-Pledge-A-Book’ juga dilancarkan untuk meraikan semangat membaca dan menggalak orang ramai supaya menderma buku-buku terpakai di MENDAKI.

    Buku-buku ini kemudian akan dikongsi bersama keluarga-keluarga memerlukan menerusi program-program MENDAKI.

    Source: Berita MediaCorp

deneme bonusu