A tiered fines system for illegal parking will be introduced from next year, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) said on Monday.
Under the new rules, motorists who receive their second offence notice within a year will have to pay more in fines.
For example, a motorist caught parking a light vehicle along unbroken double yellow lines will be fined $110, instead of $70, if that is his second offence within 12 months.
“About half of all illegal parking traffic notices issued between 2011 and 2014 are committed by repeat offenders,” LTA said.
The number of demerit points, which are meted out for more serious illegal parking offences, will remain unchanged.
To enforce and deter illegal parking, CCTV cameras will also be installed at 40 more locations, such as along the stretch of Grange Road between Mandarin Gallery and Cineleisure, and along Rochor Road in front of Fu Lu Shou complex.
These CCTV cameras, which provide round-the-clock enforcement, have already been installed at 30 locations.
Dr Chin Kian Keong, LTA’s group director for transportation and road operations, said the authority has “observed improved traffic conditions along some stretches of roads which used to suffer from obstruction caused by indiscriminately parked vehicles, such as along Beach Road, Bishan Road and Pasir Panjang Road”.
“Besides improving traffic flow for cars and other road users, our bus commuters have also benefited from smoother traffic along these roads,” Dr Chin added.
To deter illegal parking, closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras will be installed at 40 more locations around the island, the Land Transport Authority said on Monday.
These CCTVs, which offer round-the-clock enforcement, are currently used at 30 other locations. These areas have since seen improved traffic conditions, the LTA added.
The new batch of CCTVs will be ready in the first half of 2015.
Locations with CCTV already installed
1. Beach Road (near Golden Mile Complex)
2. Marine Parade Central (near Parkway Parade)
3. Upper Bukit Timah Road (after The Linear)
4. Ardmore Park, Draycott Park (near Ardmore Park & JC Draycott)
5. Commonwealth Avenue West (Clementi MRT, both directions)
6. Serangoon Central (Serangoon MRT, near NEX mall)
7. Boon Lay Way (Boon Lay MRT, near Jurong Point)
8. Bishan Road (Bishan MRT)
9. Jurong Gateway Road (around Jurong East Central, near Jurong East MRT)
10. Jurong West Street 63 (Pioneer MRT)
11. Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 (AMK MRT)
12. Boon Lay Way (Lakeside MRT)
13. New Upper Changi Rd (Bedok MRT, Bedok Centre)
14. Pasir Panjang Road (AVA centre to shophouses before MAS Currency House)
15. Woodlands Road (Kranji MRT, both directions)
16. Collyer Quay (both directions)
17. Choa Chu Kang Avenue 4 (Lot 1, CCK MRT/LRT)
18. Choa Chu Kang Loop (outside CCK Bus Interchange)
19. Jalan Sultan (Textile Centre)
20. Tampines Central 1 (near to bus interchange, Tampines MRT)
21. Beach Road (at Golden Mile Food Centre)
22. River Valley Road (in front of Spize, Boon Tong Kee)
23. Tanjong Katong Road (near Parkstone Road)
24. Woodlands Ave 7 (Admiralty MRT)
25. North Bridge Road (opp and along Bugis Junction)
26. Jalan Besar (Eminent Plaza)
27. Punggol Road (junction of Punggol Central, both directions)
28. Sembawang Road (Jalan Lengkok Sembawang)
29. Serangoon Road (Tekka Centre)
30. Upper Serangoon Road (junction of Simon Road & Florence Road)
Locations selected for CCTV installation in 2015
1. Ang Mo Kio Street 52 (in front of Block 527)
2. Bukit Batok East Avenue 3 (in front of Block 284)
3. Beach Road (from Purvis Street junction to Middle Road)
4. Beach Road (from Seah Street junction to Purvis Street)
5. Buffalo Road (from Serangoon Road junction to lamp-post 5)
6. Cambridge Road (in front of Block 43)
7. Cambridge Road (in front of Blocks 41A & 42)
8. Choa Chu Kang Avenue 1 (in front of Hong Kiat seafood)
9. Cluny Park Road (in front of French Embassy & Cluny Court towards the direction of Bukit Timah Road)
10. Cluny Park Road (taxi stand, opposite unit 89)
11. Collyer Quay (access road next to OUE Bayfront)
12. Dunman Road (from Joo Chiat Road junction to Onan Road junction)
13. Grange Road (between Mandarin Gallery and Cineleisure)
14. Jalan Kembangan (Kembangan MRT)
15. Jalan Pelepah (opposite AVA centre)
16. Joo Chiat Road (in front of I12 Katong Mall)
17. Jurong West Street 91 (in front of Blocks 962 to 959)
18. Marina Coastal Drive (in front of Marina South Pier)
19. Marymount Road (in front of Marymount MRT)
20. New Bridge Road (from Keong Saik Road junction to junction of Kreta Ayer Road)
21. Outram Road (in front of Tan Boon Liat building)
22. Owen Road (in front of Pek Kio market)
23. Pasir Ris Drive 4 (in front of Pasir Ris polyclinic)
24. Race Course Road (from Little India MRT to taxi stand F27)
25. Rochor Road (in front of Fu Lu Shou complex)
26. Selegie Road (between POMO and Parklane Shopping Mall)
27. Seletar Road (in front of Greenwich Shopping Centre)
28. Sengkang West Avenue (in front of Fernvale Point)
29. Serangoon Road (in front of The Verge Shopping Mall)
30. Tampines Avenue 4 (in front of Tampines Mall)
31. Tiong Bahru Road (Redhill MRT – bus stop)
32. Tiong Bahru Road (Redhill MRT – pick up bay)
33. Toh Tuck Road (in front of SingPost)
34. Upper Paya Lebar Road (Tai Seng MRT – exit B)
35. Upper Paya Lebar Road (Tai Seng MRT – exit A)
36. Upper Serangoon Road (Serangoon MRT – exit B)
37. Upper Serangoon Road (in front of eateries near Sunshine Terrace)
38. Woodlands Street 82 (in front of Woodlands North Plaza)
39. Worcester Road (before right bend into HDB car park, both sides)
40. Yishun Avenue 11 (in front of Block 419)