SINGAPORE — The National University of Singapore professor at the centre of an online controversy has acknowledged that his recent Facebook posts discussing his views on homosexuality caused offence, said NUS provost Tan Eng Chye.
In a circular sent out this morning (Mar 5), Prof Tan said that Associate Professor Syed Muhd Khairudin Aljunied’s comments on his views of lesbianism “contained provocative, inappropriate and offensive language”.
“I have counselled Associate Professor Khairudin, who has acknowledged that whilst his only intention had been to convey his point of view, his original posts reflected poor judgment in the tone and choice of words. He has since amended or removed these posts,” said Prof Tan.
Two alumni and a current student had earlier lodged a complaint to NUS over Professor Khairudin’s Facebook posts, claiming that Professor Khairudin had described “alternative modes of sexual orientation” as “wayward”, and as “cancers” and “social diseases” to be “cleansed”.
The circular emphasised NUS’ commitment to diversity, regardless of “gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, political beliefs or sexual orientation”, and highlighted the need to respect this diversity when communicating with others.
Both staff and students were reminded to “show restraint, due care and respect with their words and actions, particularly when communicating online.”
Read the ENTIRE chronology of saga in category ‘AGAMA’:
- Singapore Murtad Association Pokes Fun at NUS Prof Syed Khairudin Aljunied
- NUS LGBT Students Protest Against NUS Muslim Professor Syed Khairudin Aljunied
- Homosexual Lobby, Bullying Tactics Gone Too Far
- The Idolisation of Tolerance & Its Abuse
- Petition against NUS Professor Syed Khairudin Aljunied by 3 LGBT NUS students: Benjamin Seet, Melissa Tsang and Khairulanwar Zaini
- Petition in support of NUS Professor Syed Khairudin Aljunied created by Dr Muhammad Iqbal and Mr Faisal Razak
- Facebook Page Supporting NUS Professor Syed Khairudin Aljunied
- Muslims retaliated with petition after NUS LGBT students attempted to discredit, threatened NUS to sack Prof Syed Khairudin Aljunied
- Homosexuality and Liberal Islam are Dangerous to Singapore
- NUS Muslim Student Wrote Letter & Petition against Lecturer Syed Khairudin Aljunied, Now Denies He is Gay, Demands Public to Apologise to His Mother
- FMSA Issue Statement in Support of NUS Prof Syed Khairudin Aljunied
- NUS professor acknowledges ‘poor judgment’ in posts on sexuality